Compact Atkinson with glass cylinder and rotary valve

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan Ridders

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have made my third MK3 version of my Atkinson 4-stroke engine. Apart from a very compact construction the special features are:
- Rotary valve for intake and exhaust. Very simple system in the cylinder head that eliminates any shock loads on a timing belt and the rest of the engine with a remakable quiet running behavior as a result. Remarkable for an Atkinson with its rather complex driving system with abrupt reverse movements.
- Glass cylinder with graphite piston without rings. Neglectable frictions, excellent compression and clear visible combustion fires through the glass cylinder.
You can see and read all about it on my web site with details, contruction progress in a kind of log book and the final result:
http://ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_atkinson_mk3/atkinson_mk3_frameset.htm
Next week I will make a YouTube video with pictures, animation and real time running movies. From then the CAD drawing plans will be available also for everyone interested.
Friendly greetings from Holland,
Jan Ridders

Today (October-13-2012) I made the video below:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8haoPu1cLhg&list=UUOWqwLEIfORZB09qQirdkag&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Atkinson-MK3-CAD.jpg

Atkinson-MK3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jan,
After completing your flamelicker with internal valve recently, I was wondering if a graphite piston would be suitable for an internal combustion engine. It's so nice to work with and so easy to get an excellent fit to the bore.
I may try and build this one in the future. Keep up the good work!

Hello Cogsy (Al?),

It is perfectly possible to use graphite pistons for Internal Combustion engines. Last month's I designed and made several IC engines with graphite pistons running in glass cylinders. I just posted a message about these engines in the thread "Finished projects". There are also links to the concerning pages on my web site so you can see and read there all about it.
Thanks for your reaction.

Friendly greetings,
Jan Ridders

Latest posts

Back