Collet question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cessna

Reaction score
Hi, I have an ER32 MK4 collet chuck and a couple of collets for it to use on my lathe, my mill is R8 if I buy an R8 chuck are the collets interchangeable as long as they are ER32?
Thanks
Terry

Yes. I have an R8 tapered chuck for the mill, a MT2 chuck, and a flange chuck for my 7X lathe. All use the same ER-32 collets. Also have the "Stevenson" hex and square collet blocks in ER-32.

Chuck

Also have the "Stevenson" hex and square collet blocks in ER-32.

Chuck
Oh I do want a set of those. And the Stevenson spin indexer with ER sleeve.
Freight from UK to Australia is a massive killjoy though, and the fast dropping Aussie dollar :(

I gave up using an ER32 collet chuck on my largish mill as it took up too much throat space, and now use R8 collets which gives me at least another 2.5" to 3" throat distance, plus less error, as the tooling isn't swinging and vibrating around too much in mid air. My surface finishes improved dramatically once I changed over, from good to fantastic.
Like Chuck, I still use my ER collets but only with table or vice clamped auxiliary tooling, as I have the same Stevensons blocks and spin indexer, plus I made a fitting for my RT and lathe as well, allowing me to swap from lathe to mill easily.

John

John

Thanks very much for the replies, have ordered a set.
Terry

Latest posts

Back