CNC simulation software.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooper_luke_10

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any CNC simulation software. Preferably free down load.
I'm just wondering if there is anything out there that I could use to learn a little about lathe and 3 axis mill cnc.
Or if there are any recomended books that would be great.

www.cnczone.com probably has some info on simulators and also G-code programming.

EMC2 and Mach3 are cnc controller software that have simulators built in and can be ran without real machines connected. They both would be more trouble to install than a stand alone simulator but they would allow you to see position displays, try out commands in MDI mode, etc. just like a real machine.

EMC2 is great and is free but runs on Linux. No big deal as they have a "live CD" that installs Linux and EMC at the same time. It probably has the steepest learning curve to install but is great software.

Mach3 costs money but they have a version that is a free download also. It runs on windows. May be easy to set up, I'm not sure.

Would either of these help ease one into the world of CNC that has no clue where to start.

"Bill Gruby"

Bill,
I'm afraid you will have to jump in with both feet and boy is the water muddy, but being muddy and dense it's easy to float!
If your computer runs on windows it is probably better to try Mach3. EMC2 runs on Linux and can be another set of problems.
Download Mach3 and dive in. There, now you can blame me.

Grumpy Dave

Thanks Dave, I will give it a shot. Famous last words, "How bad can it really be."

"Bill Gruby"

Bill Gruby
Bill Gruby said:
"How bad can it really be."
Really Bad ;)

It is a steep learning curve hillmountain. The first step is the hardest, just getting started seems difficult, once past that it does become easiler. Just be patient let the penny drop. :eek:
You can always give me a shout.

Dave

cooper_luke_10

Regarding your last question books?

Most tend to learn CNC by themselves (especially hobbyists) and one way is to download a program. Normally with the program there will be access to videos, tutorials and a thumping great manual.

I think this is the best way to go.

Books are good - but few have learn how to ride a bike by reading a book ;D

Dave

Bill Gruby said:
Thanks Dave, I will give it a shot. Famous last words, "How bad can it really be."

"Bill Gruby"
Hey Bill, do you use a CAD program already? If so, CNC will be much easier. If not, I'd recommend getting over that hurdle 1st.

CAD is not really mandatory to do simple CNC ops but close to it. Besides, CAD is an incredibly useful tool in everything we hobbyists do. There are many free downloads available with online help. 2D CAD is fine for most everything...you don't need to worry about 3D CAD right away; that's another hurdle. ;D

Mach3 will show the tool paths, but its simulator doesn't really do what you'd ideally like. A good simulator will permit you do do the following:

1) define the raw stock and its 3D zero point relative to the machine
2) define the geometry of all the tools being used
3) run the program, removing "material" from the stock to show the result
4) allow zooming and 3D panning of the finished work
5) allow measurements of the finished work
6) warn of crashes, including rapid moves into stock, or machining moves with the spindle stopped
7) allow definition of work offsets for cases where multiple parts are milled in the same run

Of course, none of this matters unless you have a g-code program to emulate, so hand-coding or having CAM capability is a pre-requisite. CAM programs need drawings as a starting point, so you either need a pre-made DXF or DWG file, or else CAD capability. Some CAM programs also have CAD.

Even with all the above and a seemingly good emulation run, the emulator will not tell you if your feeds and speeds are good, so you need to learn how to calculate these for any given tool and material combination.

In addition to the cncsimulator program mentioned above, a paid program "cutviewer" is said to be quite good.

I have used a program called "Predator Virtual CNC" that came packaged with the textbook I learned from in school. That free program is limited to g-code programs of 150 lines or less, which is restrictive for CAM-generated programs but is fine for leaning where g-code would be hand-coded. It can be a bit finicky to setup at first, but does work very well.

The texbook I used is called "Introduction to Computer Numerical Control" by Valentino and Goldberg. You could find used copies on the internet, although they might not have the included CD with the Predator programs. This book is quite good in explaining both lathe and mill programming.

The first courses we did all the programming for lathe and mill manually. I can recommend this approach as you then learn all the necessary g-codes. Later we used mastrercam for mill, and mastercam has its own emulator.

In reality, none of this is very hard to learn as long as you take it step by step. as a former software developer, all the computer "stuff" comes naturally. The harder part for me was actually setting up the machine properly and hoping I hadn't made a simple mistake resulting in a broken tool and/or ruined part. (have had plenty!) There is no "feel" with CNC. You push the start button and it either works or it doesn't. Normally you set the tool offsets high and cut air the first time you run a new program, and then single-step the controller the first time you run it for real. Feedback is limited to the noise the mill makes while cutting, the color of the chips, and possibly any sparks/flame/smoke coming off the tool.

My current software arsenal for CNC includes:

Draftsight for CAD
CamBam for CAM
Mach3 for control
G-Wizard for feeds and speeds

I have been playing with this

http://www.vectric.com/

Claims to cater for hobby to professional and comes with a few illustrations to play with .
Instructions in Pdf too if you must read the instructions.

I am not endorsing it , just playing with it myself , and I am just about as novice as they come.
Be interested to hear what others think!

I have been playing with "DeltaCad'. It is basic and user friendly.

"Bill Gruby"

I recently purchased "CNC Programming Handbook" by Peter Smid. It's very in-depth and excellent for manually programming Gcode. Many of the programming options described in the book are not available in hobby machine control systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
dieselpilot said:
I recently purchased "CNC Programming Handbook" by Peter Smid. It's very in-depth and excellent for manually programming Gcode. Many of the programming options described in the book are not available in hobby machine control systems.
Peters Handbook has to be one of the best around, I wish it had been around when I started learning. It is geared towards industry, but will still be good for the hobbyist.
Regards,
Gerald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back