Clothespin Clamp

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GailInNM

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
From "Variable Speed rotary power source" thread.
This is probably the lowest tech tip you will see this year.---Brian Rupnow
Brian, You just had to know that some of us would consider that a challenge. So here is my contender.

I am known for being cheap and lazy. This fits both requirements. Spring clothespins are handy for light duty clamping but can be even more useful if disassembled and reassembled inside out as shown in the photo. Ten second job. And, at about 2 cents each they are also cheap. Been doing this for half a century.

Gail in NM

PinClamp.jpg

Gail, for years I've used these 'pegs' (as we call 'em over here) modifying them to suit various bits and pieces but I've never come across this mod before - brilliant - I'm off to buy some ;).

Thanks for sharing this Thm:

Regards - Ramon

Modified to the bean mode, they also shot the old strike any where stick matches very well also. The type now barely light themselves. Is this what you call a safety match? I guess if it won't light you won't burn yourself. A lawyers dream come true.

woohoo1​

Modified to the bean mode, they also shot the old strike any where stick matches very well also. The type now barely light themselves. Is this what you call a safety match? I guess if it won't light you won't burn yourself. A lawyers dream come true.

woohoo1​
That sounds like a law made in Japan! When I was there I got rear-ended at a red light and was faulted with 25% of the blame simply because "If you hadn't been there, he wouldn't have hit you." That's an awesome idea though!

The clothes pin trick is great! This would make a great thread for people to share their favorite tips and tricks. Anyone have any others they would care to share? As soon as I can remember one, I'll post it!

Steve C.

I use 'em too - mostly for woodworking. I cut them short (i.e. cut off the ends just before the hole for the clothes line) - so you get quite a firm clamping action with nearly parallel jaws. Good for holding Flat Things to Other Flat Things with uniform pressure :)

Miss-spent, perhaps, but Oh my God it was wonderful to be young. The war was over. My parents loved me. I had a roof over my head, and never went to bed hungry. Looking back to the 1950's from the great old age of 66 makes the fact that I was a bean shooter somehow ahh---insignifigant!!!---Brian

The war was over. My parents loved me. I had a roof over my head, and never went to bed hungry

Altrough im quite younger that sounds exactly like my childhood. Miss the times where only way to see your friends was not facebook...

Back