Cincinnati Taper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard1

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the tapers are in the work holder of a No 2 Cincinnati Tool and Cutter Grinder? I thought they were 5 morse and 50 international but my 5 morse adaptors don't fit they are loose at the small end by about 0.020", which means either the socket is strange or someone has beaten hell out of the work holder in the past but I can't see how.

I wouldn't be suprised if the taper was a Brown and Sharpe taper instead of Morse. Most US machines used B & S tapers in the old days. Not much difference though. Geoff

Thank you that makes sense. It looks as if it must be a 12 BS rather than a 5 Morse the difference 3 inches in is 0.033 according to Google which would certainly account for the looseness. Seems I need an adaptor. Another interesting job.

I measured the bore today and contacted Cincinnati who confirmed that it is a 12 Browne and Sharpe taper. I contacted a jobbing grinding shop who quoted £25 to grind the outside of a 6 - 5 Morse taper adaptor to 12 B&S which will make an adaptor sleeve with an average wall thickness of about 0.038". I intend to loctite this permanently into the work holder of the grinder. Will this work or is it just another stupid idea that is doomed to failure? Richard

Latest posts

Back