Christmas presents

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

Now the festive season is upon us (empty wallets and stuffed bellies) now is the time family members come to you and ask what you want for Christmas.
With the more affluent members of the family, it is easy, anything over £50 ($100) is gratefully accepted as a good gift.
But what about the little tykes who don't have a great amount to spend on dad or grandpa's gift.
Well I went around my workshop and in a couple of minutes found some bits and pieces that I use all the time and don't cost the earth.

Gifts.jpg

Starting from the top is the standard el cheapo digital vernier, I always have a couple in stock, and now almost classed as a throw away item, but after you have finished using it for a precision adjustable spanner, a scribing marker or any other use than what it was originally made for, it can be recycled for use on the lathe or miller as a cheapo readout.
The next bits down that look just like pointy bits of metal are in fact just pointy bits of metal, but in precision sizes and are called transfer punches. The two shown are my imperial sets that are fractional sizes and number/letter sizes. These are used almost every day to locate drilling positions when I am making a new engine.
On the next row across are a set of cheap diamond Swiss files, but they work, then comes what is termed a 'cooks' blowtorch, this is perfect for all those small silver soldering and heating up jobs. Next to that are a pair of standard 3-2-1 blocks, at the other side is a set of the 'hole' type countersinks, that now after about five years are starting to wear out a bit.
The next row down are a bit more on the expensive side but well within the reach of the 'teenager' class of kids (even though they will say they aren't).
On the right is a good quality set of small open ended spanners (this is my new B.A. set), next to that is a Starrett (nothing else will do) wiggler set and last but not least is my very old set of Starrett taper gauges.
Now you have seen my little goody bag of bits, show us your cheap and nasties (and maybe not so cheap) that have done a good job, and the kids can afford to buy you.

John

Bog, this is a great post. Christmas time means some headaches for those that are trying to get us something meaningful and functional (for our shops, of course) and yet doesn't cost an arm or leg. For those that wish to give to me, but don't have the money, the following is a list of items that I put out each year for all if they wish to buy for me. It isn't an exciting list, but what I tell the folks that buy off of the list is that everytime I need something quickly, their gifts keep me going more than anything else.

• Common size drill bit used frequently. For me, this is .125, .25, .375 typically. These gets lots of use in my shop, and it is nice to have them on hand.
  • Tools bits in various sizes. Can anyone have too many tool bits? it is nice to have a supply of them in the tool box ready in the event that your are in need of one.
  • Taps in common used sizes. I tap a lot of holes. Having those fresh taps available is a great thing. The sizes I request are 6x32, 8x32, 1/4x20, and 3/8x16 as these are the most used sizes in my shop.
  • Spotting drills get lots of use in the shop. This is an item that is always on the list.
  • Safety glasses are an essesntial item in my shop, and that is an easily found and very useful item.
  • A shop apron is used in my shop on a daily basis, and they become nasty failry quickly. I go through about three a year as they aren't worth trying to wash, so this is an itemon the list as well.

For other ideas, I usually ask for the 6" steel shop rules, vacuum cleaner filters, shop towels, broom and dust pan, flash lights, pens and pencils, and some other commonly used items that are inexpensive. There are always books that I want, and I have several titles on the list for all as well. Magazine subscriptions are a great gift idea as well, thought for our stuff they are a bit more expensive than a typical magazine.

For any of the items on my list, I do take the time and effort to list sources for each item, and also give parts numbers, sizes, grades, prices, and any other applicable information needed to help those that aren't up on what we do make an informed purchase for Christmas gifts. Most of the items can be bought at a local hardware or home improvement center, but some require ordereing through Enco, J&L, MSC, or another mail order supplier.

Everyone in my family sweats the holidays when it comes time to come up with gift ideas for me, but after the season each year, I am told, usually by several, that the list I send out makes my gift one of the easiest that they bought the previous year, and that makes all of the trouble worth it for me. Personally, I really don't "need" anything, and tell those to take the money and spend it on themselves or the kids, but when I chip the tip of that drill bit, it is nice to reach in the tool box and grab the one that my niece bought me for Christmas!

Hope this will give you guys some ideas of your own, and I look forward to seeing yours as well.

Happy Holidays!

Wareagle,
Your list is great, I didn't even think about most of them.
What I do with the toddlers is I say I will buy it online and when it comes, you give me the money. When it does come time to pay I just tell them that Santa paid for it and he told me to give you your money back because they had been so good. It is the thought that counts. But that doesn't work with the older ones, they would expect interest on the money as well.

John

Latest posts

Back