Center drills!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradbyname

Reaction score
So, needless to say im new to turning, and learning my way around the lathe :)

Knowing that i need to drill a hole for a dead center, i went shopping for a center drill. BS1,BS2,BS3...... ok - I understand why we need all the different sizes, but im a bit stumped as to which one i should buy for drilling a hole for the dead center!

Anyone who is kind enough to shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

im a bit stumped as to which one i should buy for drilling a hole for the dead center!
that is why it is best to have a set. there is not formula but more rules of thumb. when you are turning on centers the dead center or live ball bearing center in the tail stock supports the work. Small diameter work requires a small center drill. larger and soft material needs a larger size. the general rule of thumb is to use the smallest size that will support the work. If you have to, make the work longer use a bigger center drill for support then trim to length on the lathe when done turning. This is best done with a specialty ground tool with a half center but can be don with a regular center.
Tin

Ah fair enough, I shall order a range of them.

Thanks for the advice, thats certainly cleared it up for me

Brad

Many thanks Tin
Looks like a wealth of information there.

I have watched the AGI milling and lathe series which i have on DVD but i either overlooked the part on center drills (most likely) or the different sizes were not mentioned (unlikely), but more reading material the better

About 30 years ago I bought a big handful of #3 size from an old surplus yard in Minneapolis. That's the only size I've ever used. Also bought pocket full of 2 x 56 taps. It's the standard in my shop. It's funny how your machinist path gets locked for you in some ways.

Thanks for the replies Bob & Vic

I went for these ones in the end: :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130432503622&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and then ebay got the better of me:
and one of them
db26_12.JPG

and one of these:
d62a_12.JPG

and maybe some of these too:
212.jpg

and then thought i need one of these:
!B3b6UPw!mk~$(KGrHqZ,!iYE)qgRNWqdBMmOGtkCT!~~_12.JPG

and then the weekend occured to me that i have no plans:
!B,h6oDw!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-CMEqu(SITCzBKr5dG1RRQ~~_12.JPG
bbff_12.JPG
fa4a_12.JPG

Rounded off with some of this:
$(KGrHqZ,!lYE3Hl0q(oOBN2m58Irmw~~0_3.JPG

Curse you ebay.... i only went on there for a centre drill set ??? ::) (but i got a few new toys :big: )

Brad

The drill chuck and live center are definite "must have" for the lathe. I see you are in the UK, what screw thread is used mostly now? BA or metric?

Predominantly Metric. i think (but dont quote me) that BA is mostly obsolete now. Although it may still apply to the smaller threads. I know it is still used in certain applications usually with precision instruments and the like obviously.

Yes i live in the UK, good ol' land of rain.

BA IS the predominant thread for UK model engineering.

In Industry it is Metric.

Personally I manage with No 1 & 2 centre drills and my models are a bit larger than a lot here, couple of long reach ones don't go amiss either. If its just for starting a drill then spotting drills work well and are a littel less fragile.

Jason

A good starting point for answering your initial question is the attached chart. It's in fractions, but can easily be converted to metric.

Center drills.JPG

Ah, many thanks for that. I have printed it out and put it in my reference book

I keep several sizes on hand, including #00 for use in this:

ProxxonDrill.jpg

Back