CDI ignition magnets

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
To get ready for my upcoming build season that starts on November 1st I have been checking my materials on hand and ordering the needed supplies to avoid a sometimes long wait for deliveries. A 3 week wait for a small order from an on-line material supplier last year taught me a big lesson!

This year I'm planing on building my first IC engine which requires a magnet to trip a Hall Sensor activated CDI Ignition. I ordered the Basic S&S system and opted to buy the Hall sensors and magnets from other sources.

Why buy from another source? The hall sensor from S&S is the way to go if your building a single engine. My plan was to buy enough for multiple builds and never need to order them again. The magnets from S&S are also the way to go but I decided I wanted 1/8" x 1/8" cylinders and didn't notice that S&S offered them. After a little looking around I found that magnets come in different grades. The most common ones I found are N36, N40, N42, and N52. I ordered the stronger N52.

The question is did I buy magnets that are Too strong, and will they play havoc with the hall sensor or cause a timing problem. The idea was that the stronger magnet wouldn't require close and accurate proximity to the Hall Sensor. Has anyone used the N52 grade with the S&S System, or any other system?

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D22-N52

-MB

Stronger magnets will not damage the hall sensor. It does give you a bit greater sensing distance. I buy hall sensors from the electronics suppliers, and magnets from supermagnetman.

dieselpilot said:
Stronger magnets will not damage the hall sensor. It does give you a bit greater sensing distance. I buy hall sensors from the electronics suppliers, and magnets from supermagnetman.

Thanks for your input Greg.

Can you tell me which size magnet and strength you have used, and the industry number of the Hall sensor you have used?

I'm probably digging a bit deeper than I need to, I'm interested in what successful builders of single cylinder IC Engines are using.

-MB

I use 5x4x1mm magnets and Honeywell, SS541AT, but this is a tiny surface mount part. There are comparable parts with leads.

This is from a model airplane engine install. The screws holding the sensor to the mounting ring are 2-56.

enya464csensor.jpg

Greg that's a very neat installation, I like it a lot Thanks for posting you set up.
By surface mount, I assume you mean the type used for circuit board installation.

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
By surface mount, I assume you mean the type used for circuit board installation.

Correct. Small and difficult to work with. The regular size components are only a little larger.

MB-

Hey friend how ya been? Sounds like your expanding your horizons this year. Can ya give us any hints on which IC your going to tackle first?

Matt

1hand said:
MB-
Hey friend how ya been? Sounds like your expanding your horizons this year. Can ya give us any hints on which IC your going to tackle first?

Matt

Hi Matt! I'm A OK. Getting ready by ordering some of the bits and pieces for my first build, as you can tell by this thread. Its a whole new world for me trying to figure it all out. Not as many electronic choices as I had thought. I racked my brain most of the day trying to come up with connectors to make a quick disconnect ignition that will work on any future IC builds. Being on a budget I don't want to have multiple on-board ignition systems. The stuff I ordered so far should work on any IC I undertake.

Nothing to hint about yet, I'm still looking at plans and haven't made a decision. ???
But I should start building on-or-about November 1st.

-MB

Latest posts

Back