Casting Brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artie

Reaction score
I know that there are a few casters of molten metal out there. I have a question....

Im using the standard green sand mix that is often mentioned on line. Im NOT getting the surface finish that I would like (we are talking casting brass here)

Is there a secret that I havent encountered?

Am I doing something wrong?

Ive cast aluminium for years but only just started casting brass and while im getting ok results (particularly in Ali, brass is rough) I want better. See attached pics for example.... how do I achieve the finish in pic 2 when I am currently producing pic 1?

Is this a need to use lost wax investment casting? looking at the parting line in pic 2 I dont think it is investment cast. Do you agree?

20012010680.jpg

Bild027.jpg

Gday Jeff, ive use the oiled sand before and it is good but tends to be a little messy (stains etc). Ive also heard of using it around the plug as a barrier from the molten metal to the moist green sand. Might give that a go next time... also looking at plaster casting... will try this over the next coupel of weeks as well...

Cheers

Rob

Latest posts

Back