buying dro direct from supplier

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not heard of them before, but the price certainly looks good! I would be interested as well in finding out if they're valid DROs.

That guy is really good to deal with, i haven't bought one yet but i have heard that it is a nice dro for the money

Hi

Looking at whats on offer in the uk, in magazines and at shows, the product looks the same. Its quite possible they all come from the same factories???

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

Yes, they're most likely all from the same factory with a bit of re-branding; the unit in your link looks exactly like the three axis version of the one I bought from TheDROStore.com.

I'm enjoying it; and it's really easy to use.

Kind regards, Arnold

I wonder if they ship the scales and the head unit as one parcel? I doubt it, but am curious just the same. In looking at their shipping rate structure, to the U.S. is $120 with 'additional package' being another $110. A potential of $230 in shipping alone. For a 3-axis unit, it still would not be such a bad price though.

BC1
Jim

Jim
I got my DRO from Dro Pros.
With the cost of the unit that you are looking at and the shipping, it's not that far off.
The support and manuals in actual US English were a big plus for me.
One othe thing to think about.
A Z axis scale on the mill head is not nearly as useful as a scale that measures quill movement.
With that said, the mill DRO is perhaps the most useful addition that I have done.
The precision and other functions like bolt hole circle and centering are great.
Hope this helps
Stan

That guy is brilliant to deal with, and so is Meister on ebay though a bit more expensive.
I have read of 2 guys that had small problems because of the postage carriers and a replacement part was sent strait out free of charge and no returns.
The additional $110 postage is for another complete set shipped with this one, no extra on just 1 set.

You can slim line scale up grades for a little more ($30 from memory) per axis and also 0.001mm scales for around $25 extra per axis, not that they are really needed other than the cross slide on a lathe I recommend it.

One guy on another forum just had troubles with his Grizzly unit, no back up and they are giving him the run around sending him to places that don't even do repairs.

I had some power supply troubles with 1 of my Meister DRO's after 5-6 years which I think was my fault with a dodgy surge protector (probably a capacitor in the switch mode power supply), Kerwin was strait onto diagnosing it and would have fixed it for $20US including parts, all I had to do was pay the postage there and back for the circuit board which is far enough as it is 5-6 years old. He suggested numerous other cheap/easy fixes and one was to buy a 5v power supply and use that, which I have done.

Great service from both sellers, even though everyone complains about no back up service from overseas guys selling on ebay, these guys do back up the products and have been around for a few years now and are getting a good name.

I highly recommend either of these guys, you will save a lot buying direct from China/Singapore.

Dave

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, they sound very positive. I'm looking ahead here a little. hoping to persuade my wife it would be a good xmas present. Anybody know how long they take to ship??

Cheers

Rich

Rich,

Don't forget import duty, 20% on everything, including the postage, of anything over 18 pounds.

I have got away with a lot cheaper packages from China, using normal snail mail, but I don't know about something as costly as this.

If something comes through the normal post, sometimes you can get away with it, but if it comes by one of the recognised carriers, UPS, DHL etc, they automatically work out the customs duty due and very happily pays it for you. You will then get a bill from the carrier, for the cost of the customs duty, with an extra surcharge added (usually about 6 to 8 pounds), and they won't deliver until you have paid them.

Something that must be taken into account.

John

firebird said:
Hi

Thanks for all the replies, they sound very positive. I'm looking ahead here a little. hoping to persuade my wife it would be a good xmas present. Anybody know how long they take to ship??

Cheers

Rich

Usually within 7 days, but most of the time it's quicker at least to over here in Australia.

PM sent

Dave

Hi

I've sent the seller a question asking about any hidden charges.

I'll let you all know.

Cheers

Rich

Firebird you will almost certainly have to pay VAT at 20% and , if delivered by Royal Mail , an extra £8 which they charge for collecting the tax.
There are readouts on sale in the UK at around £130 for a 3 axis , but 5 micron glass scales will set you back £100-ish each.
You will , however , have the option of buying them one at a time.

Hi

I sent the seller this question

Hi

Are there any hidden costs. I'm told there may be extra duty to pay for import into the UK? If so how much extra would I have to pay

Thanks

Rich

I recieved this reply.

Hi Thank for your interest in our products.

Please try this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320919811363&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Garanteed, no hidden cost, no worries about VAT and import tax, professional support from Nottingham.

Regards,

JJ

Followed shortly after by this reply

Hi Rich, Forgot to mentioned that we are running out of 750mm travel scales in Nottingham at this moment. We have all the other lengths in stock at now.

Our business partner in UK can help to cut one long scale to 750mm travel if it is needed.

Keep in contact.

Regards,

JJ

Cheers

Rich

Sounding even better, he must be set up over there as well now.

Dave

Latest posts

Back