Building Elmer's #32 - question about the valve

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveG

Reaction score
Thought I'd try one of Elmer's engine, not really an external combustion guy but hey I'm gonna have a go at one just for fun maybe :shrug:

Anyway I'm looking at the drawings and I can fathom everything quite well, the darn valve tho is another story... scratch.gif

If anyone has a picture of a completed valve handy I sure would like to have a look at it. An alternative to a picture would be an explanation of the steps you used to create your valve. I can visualize the valve nut and how that fits in but the shaded part of the drawing with the 1/32 section and also the 5/32 - 3/16 dimensions mentioned I can't. Is this like some type of...how would you say...pocket that gets milled in?

Thanks in advance...

elmers-valve.jpg

Exactly what you said, its a pocket on the bottom of the valve.

Weee get to answer a question from my limited knowelge of steam engines.......

JimN

JimN said:
Exactly what you said, its a pocket on the bottom of the valve.

Weee get to answer a question from my limited knowelge of steam engines.......

JimN

And it was exactly the answer I needed...

Thank you Jim :)

Ok so now back to work on a drilling jig. Decided I'd make a little drilling jig out of 3/16 x 1 x 2 1018 as the layout work on the cylinder, valve plate, cover and steam chest for one engine is one thing but should I want to make another...lol

Steve,
The shaded part of the drawing is a cross section of the material. Cross hatches, angled lines etc are used to represent solid material in drawings.

The part has two slots milled at right angles to each other with a pocket on the opposite side. It'll look somewhat like a four-legged table with a recess in the top.

Have a look at this thread for a better idea of what it'll look like and the process to make it.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=6474.135

The valve is about half way through the pictures.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, those pictures helped greatly. Boy that's some delicate milling...just looked in my cutter box, no 1/16 end mills. My smallest is 3/32 scratch.gif

There's a couple of examples...tel did one.
So did I. I used a 1/8 end mill.

Steve,

Being of a frugal nature, it is possible to use drills as end mills, the feed must be very slow and the depth of cut max 1/3 drill dia., as they break very easily. Lastly have the minimum length exposed from the chuck.

Mind you the pain in the hip pocket nerve from breaking a small drill is no-where near as severe as the pain from breaking a small end mill.

Ask me how I know. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back