Build sequence

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not making any judgments but I do find it interesting on how some folks progress on projects. Some folks do all or most of the finishing and spit and polish as they go along and others complete the machining and fitting and then once the project is done they go back and apply the finishing touches like polish and paint etc.

For me I have found that as I progress I frequently have to go back and do a little bit of tweaking to get everything to fit and run properly. If I did the finishing as I went along I would just end up redoing at least the paint. I do some of the initial polishing as I go along but for the most part I get the engine running and then go back and do the final bit. The problem is that by the time I get to the end I just want to get it done so I frequently do not do enough of the final finishing.

I'm in sort of the same boat, though I'm trying to change. I used to not worry about finishing at all while I was building and figured I'd make it look good after it was running. This never seemed to happen so now I'm attempting to make parts look 'almost' finished as I make them. The idea now is that final polish shouldn't be overly difficult and I'll actually get it done. It remains to be proven for me though.

I usually figure to polish after the project is finished but then its like okay, it runs good, lets build something else .

Latest posts

Back