Bronze

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

Reaction score
Hi

At the Elvaston Castle steam rally today a guy was selling lengths of bronze, not phospher bronze just bronze. Whats the difference apart from the obvious that one has phospher in it and one doesn't. I didn't buy any in the end as I wasn't sure if it could be used as boiler fittings etc. Can anyone enlighten me

cheers

Rich

Bronze is an alloy and unless you have some way to identify the alloy, you have no idea what you got. Many years ago a bronze caster told me simply that there is no such a thing as "bronze". His business was making bronze material for statues, dedication plates (where politicians put their names), builders hardware and decorative material and artwork. Everything he made was a different alloy to meets the needs of the end user.

I wouldn't want to use any of his material for machining unless it was for something like candlesticks.

Interesting thoughts Stan.

Bronze in one of the oldest man made alloys.
At first it was a simple recipe of copper and tin.
Soon after the metalsmiths of the age discovered that
adding arsenic made it a stronger metal. (arsenical bronze).
Since then the spectrum of alloys that are called bronze have
been grown to a scale where identifying them after the label
has been removed is practically impossible.

Replace the tin in that copper alloy with zinc and you have brass
and a whole new set of indistinguishable metals to deal with. ;)

Rick

Hi

Just looked at the online metals guide. It gets confusing doesn't it. Is there a simple yes or no answer to the question can any sort of bronze be used or am I hoping too much.

Cheers

Rich

A few months ago I mentioned that I had got a deal on some magnesium bronze at the scrap dealer. In my research, I found that a common use was for valve stems and this made sense because the piece came from a machine shop that does oilfield repairs.

Today I had occasion to use some. I put a 1 5/8" round bar in the 4x6 bandsaw and went about doing other things. When I went to get my peice, the cut had only progressed less than .125". Ah, cheap carbon blade, replaced with new 8/12 bimetal blade and turned bar to start new cut. New blade cut even less than cheap carbon blade.

I put the bar in the abrasive chopsaw with a ferrous blade and it cut well with a clean cut and obviously, no sparks and no damage to blade.

I put the 3" piece in the lathe and to face the ends and clean the surface and it cut beautifully, with a mirror finish. I put it in the mill with a 3/4" end mill to make a flat side and the cutter was dull before I went down 3/16". I finished the flat with a carbide end mill.

Back in the lathe to drill and tap a 5/8" x 18 hole the full length.Drilled OK with 1/4" pilot drill and then 9/16" drill. I tried to run a .5630" reamer and it was dull before I was halfway through. I am still working with a tap and I am in about 2" and I can only get a couple of threads before it squeals. I should have single pointed the thread.

Incidentally, when the D shape piece was turning, the surface finish is so high that the reflected light coming off the surface was a distracting flash.

Rich: Does this answer your question?

Hi Rich,
I would like to suggest that you do not use brass for boiler fittings. The zinc in brass will slowly leach out, leaving a fine honey-comb structure which will eventually crumble when its strength gets too low for the job.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
javascript:void(0);

ianjkirby said:
Hi Rich,
I would like to suggest that you do not use brass for boiler fittings. The zinc in brass will slowly leach out, leaving a fine honey-comb structure which will eventually crumble when its strength gets too low for the job.
Regards, Ian Kirby.
Wollongong NSW Australia
javascript:void(0);

Ian's right, brass fittings on boilers have been known to cause failures of boilers under steam, not a desirable situation.

Loose nut said:
Ian's right, brass fittings on boilers have been known to cause failures of boilers under steam, not a desirable situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that if you use brass fitting on a copper boiler the fittings will degrade quicker than if the same brass fitting were fitted to a brass boiler. I'm guessing as the whole boiler has the zinc leached out of it meaning only a very small part from the fittings whilst a copper boiler has no zinc so more can be taken from the fittings.

Hi

I'm only using PB for all the fittings on my small boiler, I am aware that brass should not be used. I just wondered if it was ok to use pure bronze.

Cheers

Rich

Back