Bronze, SS or Alloy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
I need to make some fittings to connect some equipment in the filtration line of my fish tank. I have the options available in the subject line but I'd like to use something other than the SS as it's not a very nice grade to work (400 series of some type) but I'm concerned about galvanic reactions. Anyone care to share their thoughts. I can maybe scrounge some brass if needs be.

The problem with using any of the copper based alloys, unless you can get them either chrome or hard nickel plated, it is liable to poison your fish if it comes into contact with the water they are swimming around in.

I do have a fairly good stash of SS that I consider machines very well, if you can contact me through email, we can talk about what you need.

John

Thanks for the heads up about the copper, I should have remembered that! Thanks also for the SS offer John, as soon as the die (1/4 BSP) arrives I'll try a test on some slightly undersized material and see how it cuts with the stuff I have and contact you if it's heavy going. I have a nice stock of 3/4 SS rod that was going to the scrappy but it's of unknown parentage and sometimes a little difficult to work.

Vic.

Have you thought of making your fittings out of plastic?

Latest posts

Back