Brass Stirling for dad

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been busy making this Stirling engine for my father's sixtieth birthday and completed it a few days ago.

dscn5130q.jpg

As most of you will notice I've taken the design idea of the 'Hog' engine and started sketching.
The most challenging part came out to be the bearing for the displacer. I've used various combination of materials for the bearing and the rod, finally came with perlitic cast iron for the bearing and cold rolled steel for the rod.

Another struggle was to shorten the Pyrex test tube to length. Many shattered or were lost during the extensive testing period, where I had to take the engine apart more often then I considered amusing...
It turned out putting the glass in a collet in the lathe, spinning it slowly while rubbing it with a stone (used for sharpening cutters) was the only way I could get it cut. Upon the moment where the glass brakes, release pressure immediately or there's more clean up to do.

Currently I am making drawings of it which I will send free of charge upon request. I'll post them in the "plans" section as well, but for now you'll have to do with the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-YWNYp7zA[/ame]

That's it for now, I will notify the completion of the drawings here if there is some interest.

Greeting from Holland!

What a beautiful engine :) You've done lovely work.

I love it - it will make a wonderful birthday present.

Regards
Gordy

Beautiful piece of work.

It demonstrates a high level of craftsmanship.

Anyone would be proud to have it.

Have you made other engines that you can share with us?

SAM

That is really nice. I'd love to see plans.

That is delightful! Jeroen. I'm not much into the Stirling cycle engine scene but what you have on display there is truly a work of art and eye catching as well. Now I want one. ;D Your Father will be quite proud, as he should be, in having such a beautiful piece of work. BRAVO!!! Thm:

BC1
Jim

Stirling work Jeroen :bow: :bow:
Your father is a very fortunate man!

Kind regards, Arnold

Beautiful engine Jeroen! :bow:

Rick

Jeroen,

Please can I be your honourary Dad ??? My 70th in 2 years. ::)

Seriously, one very beautiful engine. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

A very nice display of your tiered mount HOG Stirling. I use a small diamond hand file to cut my test tubes on the lathe. Test tubes of different brands have slightly different wall thickness and those that do have a heavier wall leave a cleaner cut with less chance of breakage. I find that if you have a jagged edge as it just cuts through you can clean up end holding against a bench grinder. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi49e-fEz6I[/ame]

Both of these engine would be ones that I would like to make once I get my mill delivered, and some other bits of tooling made...

Nice jobs.......plans??

George

Beautiful work Son, when were you stopping by? :big: Really though, very nice work.

Just a thought, I picked up a 'wine bottle to drinking glass' cutting kit at a flea market a few years back and it might be an alternative idea if you cut a lot of tubes.

Thanks for sharing.
Chazz

Thanks very much for the prints for your beautiful engine, Jeroen!

Dean

any plans for measuring the efficiency sir,how to do it....
design r too good,we feel lik doing it for project

Latest posts

Back