Boring Head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mp409mm

Reaction score

Hi, Is it possible to use a boring Head in the lathe tail stock, instead ofa boring bar?

Thank for any help.

Alfred

Yes, it is. Also used in the tailstock to ofset stock to turn a taper. For tapers you need to turn a piece of drill rod with a 60° piont to fit the boring head.

Chuck

Yes, it is. Also used in the tailstock to ofset stock to turn a taper. For tapers you need to turn a piece of drill rod with a 60° piont to fit the boring head.

Chuck

The slide of the boring bar needs to be truly horizontal to maintain centre height, otherwise your taper will be convex and not have straight sides (if you get what I mean).

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Why not just use a live center and offset the tailstock?

Agreed! But you have the alignment issue with the cross slide.

ta-may-to/ta-mah-to

More than one way to skin a possum.

The adjustment of the boring head will have to be parallel to the cross slide or you will adjust it up or down.

One thing to watch if you do use the boring head in the tailstock is that it does not rotate as you will not have a draw bar to keep it in the taper and the rotational forces can get quite high as the dia you are boring increases.

J

Also, I use 2 indicators to adjust my tailstock. I leave them both on for the duration of the work then adjust back to 0. I use 2 just in case I bump one. It's always been good enough to go straight back to drilling holes. Good enough for government work any way.

Thank you guys, it seems that there is more than one possibilityto use the boring head in the lathe, good ideas; much appreciated.
Alfred

Per the original post, it is possible to bore with a boring head mounted in the tailstock, but problematic due to lack of rigidity in all directions. That is why you don't find it mentioned in Machining 101 texts. I wouldn't bother with a fight that takes too much effort to win. I cannot think of a good reason to bore using anything but the lathe's carriage, unless the carriage is AWOL. The only single-edge tools I use in the tailstock are single-flute countersinks.

Latest posts

Back