Bohm flame licker working

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this Bohm 'Smokin' Gun' flame licker some time ago as a non-runner. It came with instructions and carrying box.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-TU6SeGh2Y[/ame]

I tried briefly to get it to run when I first got it but without any success. It seemed to turn over reasonably easily but just wouldn't 'go'. When all else fails, get out the instructions.

Whoever assembled the engine originally obviously couldn't read. There were several things assembled arse-about-face and the cylinder had obviously been lubricated with something like 3-in-1 oil that had gummed everything up.

So, a strip down, clean out of the cylinder and reassemble - correctly this time. Put a drop of meths in the fuel tank and away she went like a good 'un. Like all flame lickers, the position of the flame is critical. You will note how quickly the engine slows down when I move the flame further away from the port.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Steamdave,

Thanks for posting that. I haven't seen the Bohm engines before and the look is definitely eye-catching. Good work in getting that going and thanks for letting us know what the problems were.

I mean this in a good way: Somehow I can't get Marvin the Martian (Warner Brothers cartoon character) out of my mind after looking at this.

--ShopShoe

ShopShoe said:
I mean this in a good way: Somehow I can't get Marvin the Martian (Warner Brothers cartoon character) out of my mind after looking at this.

Buck Rogers enters my mind when looking at it.
big_little_buck_rogers.jpg

Bohm do an extensive range of hot air engine self assembly kits, all looking quite 'futuristic'. This model is the only flame licker that they produce.

The assembly instructions are quite clear, however, the starting/running instructions could be more expansive. Knowledge gleaned from this site from others running flame lickers certainly helped to get it going. So to all the flame licker aficionados on this site, a Big thank you.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Nice little engine dave, something to heep on the desk to play with. I was given one of their little stirlings for chrismas which runs a treat.

Jason

PS Will e-mail you those Domestic Photos and the ones of how I did the head over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back