Bittersweet lucky south bend lathe

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by Naiveambition, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Mar 14, 2017 #1

Naiveambition

Naiveambition

Naiveambition

Well today I inherited a south bend lathe. Am extremely happy and taken back that this was given to me. A little backstory, When I first got involved in machining, I had met a friends dad that was a machinist by trade. At the time I just wanted to pick his brain, and he showed up the next day and helped with some problems and give me a load of various metal. Feeling thankful, I built him a wobbler. He was blowed away that these kind of models were engines and at my non formal educated machining background.
    A little while later I found out that he works for the shop that builds parts and machines for the space station. Which is as we all know the pinnacle of machining and engineering.
    I am just happy that my wobbler I built him, impressed someone of his stature.
    The bittersweet part is that he passed away a week ago and that my video of my flame engine was the last he watched. While it makes me proud, at the same time I hope to honor his memory with the buildings of other engines, as my first new one will be named after him. His name was Logan Gill out of friends wood Texas .
    Ok now the lathe have no clue how anything works lol. Will spend a while restoring, so many other ?s will be asked regarding this machine. Quite a step up from my harbor freight 7x10

image.jpeg

Henry likes this.
  2. Mar 14, 2017 #2

10K Pete

10K Pete

10K Pete

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. Congratulations on your 'new' lathe!

If you haven't already, check out this site:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

Most anything SB is covered there and there are some ex-SB guys who look in regularly. Very helpful!!

Pete

3. Mar 22, 2017 #3

DJP

DJP

DJP

From the picture it appears that we have the same SB lathe from the 1940s. Mine continues to do useful work and it came with lots and lots of tooling and chucks. It's a keeper for me.

My only suggestion is to fabricate a stand with an oil drip tray surface. My old lathe passes oil through quickly so keep a squirt can handy and keep it well oiled.

4. Mar 22, 2017 #4

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Brian Rupnow

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Great story, dreadful picture. Good Luck.---Brian