Bike Needs a Battery - Great Find!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
With the weather getting warmer I thought I should get the bike out.

Since I never got around to getting it out last year, it had been sitting for almost 2 years
and the factory Gel battery was too dead to charge.

Yamaha wanted almost $120 for an OEM replacement. I wasn't paying that!
I've talked to several people who have had good luck with the AGM, (Absorbent Glass Mat) batteries.
They are the same small size as the Gel batteries and have mixed reviews.

I ordered a stock Gel equivalent AMG battery online from Wholesale Batteries Direct for about half
the cost of the Gel battery. About an hour later, I received an email from them.
They had just received a shippment of AGM batteries that had 220 cold cranking amps verses the
110 cca I had ordered, offering an upgrade at no additional cost. SURE!

That battery arrived today and managed to start that bike up after it's 2 year nap.
NOTE: (My garage is almost as organized as my hobby shop.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWE6NkEbK8s[/ame]

It's going to take some time to get that varnish out of the carbs. ::)

If you're getting summer toys out and need a battery, give Wholesale Batteries Direct a look.
They certainly did good by me!

Rick

Hi Rick,
The new technology batteries are great. Mine last 2-3 time longer than the old lead/acid batteries. The only thing to be aware of is you can't use the old style battery chargers on them. I have an old style Battery Tender charger and it would put a little charge into my battery but after a couple of days it would be low again. I went to my local Yamaha shop to get a new battery and while I was there the mechanic whom I've known for years asked me why I was replacing the battery. After I explained what was going on he said to bring the battery in and they would put it on their charger. I did and it worked. He said if I was going to stay with the Battery Tender brand to buy the 'Plus' model. It charges at a different rate than the old ones and has that extra kick for the new style batteries.
gbritnell

I bought a "Smart Charger" the year I bought the Yamaha.
It was able to bring that battery back a few time.

Yes another good point.
The charger for Gel and AGM batteries is triple the cost of a lead/acid charger.

Rick

Same problem here:
I ordered original oem battery for my triumph thruxton from amazon for $60 and also ordered the fantastic charger/desulphator/maintainer "optimate 4" for $70 from amazon. Looks like it will be able to partially recover my old battery with its desulphation technique.

The charger is pretty sweet, since it has a small computer brain and can detect and decide what is best for your battery automatically. I think it is the best motorcycle battery charger/maintainer out there. Not knocking the other products which I'm sure are good as well and probably cheaper.

http://panofish.net/2007-triumph-thruxton/

Not a problem I have down here ;D I have to keep replacing tyres on the ultra do to no real bad weather. I guess its horses for courses. At least you have a season where you can do maintainance , down here I have to waste good riding weather. ;D ;D Anyways enough gloating.....Enjoy your riding Rake and keep the rubber side down.
Pete

Nice bike panofish! Thm:

My brother in law has a 1977 Triumph Silver Jubilee Bonneville in a shed.
He bought it new in 1977 and waited forever to get it.
Triumph made 1000 of them for the USA market, 1000 for the UK and 400 for other export.

He's talking about getting it out and back on the road this summer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have to tell you how dumb I am with my own.
Last night I could get it to start and run well after putting the new fuel in, but it would shut off
as soon as I put it in gear.

I was telling the guys I ride with to work about that this morning.
One of the guys said, "Was the kickstand down? There's a safety switch..."
At that point I just shook my head and said, "NEVER MIND!" :wall:

With the kickstand UP, it goes into gear and runs fine.
How could I have forgotten about that in only two years?

Rick

I was supposed to mow the lawns today but it was only 40 degrees F with light rain here this morning.

A perfect day to dig the bike out of the garage and give it a washing. ::)
It does clean up nicely.

VStarLeft.jpg

2004YamahaVStarClassic.jpg

Then I called the motorcycle shop where I had bought the bike new back in 2005 to see if they could get
it in for an inspection. He said bring it up. It's all ready for summer now.

This bike is just a little 650cc, but it hauls the wife and me around comfortably.
My very first street bike wouldn't have been able to do that.
Did anyone else happen to own one of these power beasts when they were teenagers?

1971-Honda-CB175K5-Blue-0.jpg

I'd like to have that little thing back.
Now they are collectors items around here and I couldn't afford one.

Rick

panofish said:
Same problem here:
I ordered original oem battery for my triumph thruxton from amazon for $60 and also ordered the fantastic charger/desulphator/maintainer "optimate 4" for $70 from amazon. Looks like it will be able to partially recover my old battery with its desulphation technique.

The charger is pretty sweet, since it has a small computer brain and can detect and decide what is best for your battery automatically. I think it is the best motorcycle battery charger/maintainer out there. Not knocking the other products which I'm sure are good as well and probably cheaper.

http://panofish.net/2007-triumph-thruxton/

Thought I'd update you guys on the optimate 4 charger results. My 5 year old triumph yuasa battery was dead, but the optimate desulphated it successfully and battery holds a full charge again. Probably never be as good as a new battery, but without the optimate I would have chucked the battery in the trash.

Hi Rick,I bought one of those Honda CB175s brand new for £385 in 1974 just as the CB200 came out and also owned a T140 silver jubilee bonny U.K spec still have the genuine workshop book some place.
Still own and ride but they are a lot older these days. Pleased you mentioned batteries as it made me check mine and its cracked the casing over the winter will be looking at cutting the old cells out and fitting a gel battery into the original case as its one of those old rubber type
best wishes Frazer

Latest posts

Back