Beware the evil Myford

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

baldrocker

Just finished a bench for my Myford ML7
Set the lathe up ran a quick check with the
multimeter, hand turned to check nothing
seized and switched on.
Watched in amazement as the chuck merrily
unscrewed itself.
Can anyone tell me why anyone would reverse
a motor on a Myford and no its not one with
a reverse switch.
BR

Is it a 3 phase motor? If so then reverse any 2 of the wires to make it run "forwards"

No single phase, appears brand new.
Easy to fix the problem just cant figure why
its that way.BR

Hi BR

In the '60's - '80's I had to fit dozens of new FHP motors to machines, not lathes, for some reason they were almost invariably strapped for Counter Clock rotation, ex-manufacturer. I don't know why !!
These were from several different makers. Maybe some sort of obscure rite ??
If yours is new, then I'm not surprised ..

CCW, looking into motor shaft end, that is

Regards Dave

Gotta love Some manufacturers. Spent an hour trying to nut out
how to reverse the mongrel. Finally decided to cheat and
swap it end for end making a new mount, took it off the
lathe and LO and BEHOLD a little ally plate with all sorts of info
including "to reverse rotation swap T5 and T8". Sorted! :bow:
I should add that before I made this miraculous discovery
HER INSIDE came to the workshop door and asked why
the radio wasn't working? Main house fuse tripped
workshop didn't, now I've got to sort that out :-X.
Beginning to understand why I picked this thing up for a
pittance. Can lathes be POSSESED?
BR

It was running backwards for the same reason that water runs down the plughole the opposite way down unda, Brit Machine clockwise, "Transport" it to the colonies south of the equator, wrong rotation.
Regards Ian (In the good ol' UK)
Corryolis effect

Good try but Mythbusters busted that one and
anyway everyone knows that water falls out of
baths and toilets in Aus cos we're upside down,
for the same reason we dont keep coal in the bath.
like they do in the UK. ;D

Price of coal it's the safest place to hide it :mad:

John S
Funny thing, upon reflection I cannot remember
ever seeing a COAL fire in Aus, briquettes yes
made of compressed brown coal dust but not
coal. Perhaps Tel if he reads this can throw some
light on the subject?
BR

Plenty of coal fires around in the good ol' days - especially around Lithgow, where I partly grew up. Fond memories of the roaring coal fire in the waiting room at Bathurst station. but that was 50+ years ago :mad: These days you can't buy a ton of coal for love nor money - I think most of it gets exported.

funny enough I have just reverted back to a coal fire in the living room, £14 for a bag of smokeless coal, love the smell of coal burning and cozy on these cold nights, great for smelting aluminium,lol, method in my madness!

Bill,
We have a wood burner in the back room and I have a big one in the workshop.
Just went out this Saturday morning to a firm that ships in double glazing, they protect these cases with two pieces of wood nailed into an 'L' the small cases have two pieces 4" wide 1" thick and 12" long on each corner, that's 8 pieces per crate.
The big crates are protected by 4 x 2's, 24" long nailed into an 'L' all these are planed as well.

So the small pieces go into the house and the big ones into the shop, no cutting and I can have as much as I want as it costs them £180 per skip to get rid.

Filled a transit sized van completely up on Saturday. The firm is on a private estate with heavy security, most of the other firms are bonded haulage for the airport. The security guys know me and know I have permission so I can roll up late at night, Sundays etc and load up with no problem.

During the summer when I don't need wood I am thinking about still collecting the bigger pieces and glueing and nailing them overlapped to make 4" x 4" lengths and build a shed framing with it.
I had also thought about doing the same on the floor, laying them over lapping again on a 19mm ply sheet to get a level base and then finish up with a 18 foot by 9 foot floor 4" thick ;D
Probably over kill but free except for a gallon of waterproof PVA and a few pounds of cheap nails.

john, we may be moving home early part of next year to a farm in lincolnshire, the farm has several outbuildings and countless acres of land, we are in the planning stages at the moment but if all goes well we should be moved by march 09, i personally know the land owner, bit of a snob but good to know, you know the sort loads of money but no grey matter between the ears,(hope hes not reading this lol), anyway my point is that in this part of lincolnshire there is no smoke regs for chimney's and my bro in law is a double glazing window fitter and has access to tons of old wood window frames, also it would be nice to get some sort of welding workshop and machine shop up and running in one of the outbuildings, maybe a small business in the making?

bill

Back