Bench grinder?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired at a very cheap price a nearly new Delta 6" bench grinder. The two wheels that came with it are 30 and 60 grit Al. Oxide. I am wondering if these wheels will be OK for grinding HSS lathe tools, or should I look for something like a 100 grit wheel.

...edit...

After posting this I found advice on another forum that the "stock" wheels are probably too hard for HSS.

the grey wheels that come with them are imo junk, in a world where everyone is pushing for the lowest price they put the absolute bottom of the barrel wheels on the new grinders. It would be improvement to knock a few dollars off and sell them without the wheels :) Its not so much the grit size as the hardness of the wheel. some good advice here http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=79362

I have a jet grinder that I have had and used for several years . I never really considered upgrading the wheels. I am sure there are better wheels out there.
from what I have seen, heard, and read Dewalt brand abrasives are pretty decent . American made wheels 3m Norton etc are far superior to china made wheels.
whatever wheels you end up with
1) get a wheel dresser and use it.
2) Hone/stone your HSS after grinding.
selecting a grinding wheel is akin to choosing the correct geometry for tool bit grinding there is a wheel out there that is best suited to just about every application. but just about any wheel will grind and and work for general purposes in the home shop.
Tin

Back