Beaver needs a fiddle...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunty

Reaction score
;D ;D
Not long ago I Got a Beaver VBRP mill and have now got it into it's final position. I made some box section lengths with some angle brackets welded on each end which bolt to the mill base ( couldn't bolt direct to box as i needed a little extra width to accommodate a pallet truck) and using the mill I used a 25mm Rotabroach to drill some holes right through the box into which I welded some steel bar which I spun up on the lathe with an m16 thread up the middle to make some adjustable feet. Mill all now level ;D

This is my first milling machine so wasn't sure what to expect it to do ??? I found that if you didn't lock the quill it would drop on its own, sure that's not right :-\
Also the small handwheel on the front didn't seem to do anything exept spin when auto feed is engaged, which also did nothing due the quill dropping on its own, and I expected it to feed the quill slowly as opposed to raising the table.

So this evening I decided to get brave and undo some bolts.
First I removed the quill handle and the cover and uncovered gears ??? After a few minuets pondering I worked out what was supposed to happen and reassembled it, bit of fine tuning, and the quill now raises on its own instead of dropping ;D ;D
Onto the opposite side and off came that cover too, more gears :eek: ???
This side was just a poke about and move the feed lever around just to see what was happening, looked good so reorganised the grease and put it back.

I can now pull the lever down let go and the quill goes back up, the fine feed hand wheel now works as does the auto feed :big: :big: :D :D

My only problem now is the exact position of the dead stop and feed handle in relation to the quill position as i did not have the manual with me, that is the next job ::)
I will also remember my camera so I can post some piccies :p

Latest posts

Back