basic question Re. drawings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minerva

Reaction score
Hi guys,
with delivery of my new milling machine imminent (next Monday!) I have started looking at small wobbler plans in order to select my first project!
All was going well, my understanding of working drawings was clawed back from 50 or so years ago, materials have been sourced and then I noticed some annotations on the drawing which are unknown to me. specifically on the cylinder, piston (both brass) and pivot pin (M/S).
The bore, piston OD and pivot pin are all marked with the letters C and S each letter within a circle. The (wobbler) face of the cylinder is similarly annotated B , S, and F
I am assuming the annotations are machining instructions or tolerances even, but there is nothing within the rather brief text to throw any light on the matter.
I would be grateful for for a shove in the right direction if anyone can help
TIA
regards
TerryT

Although you did not say, it sounds like you are working from one of Elmer's plans. He has his own notation for some things on drawings and they were detailed in the Appendix of the book Elmer's engines and other places. The page on this can be seen at:

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/ShopWisdomRevNov07.pdf

Gail in NM

Gail,
many thanks for your prompt reply. The plans I am working came from a friend and consists of 2 faded, dog-eared A4 sheets, one sheet of fairly detailed drawings and another of rather basic assembly instructions. After looking at the site I suspect you are correct in your assumption as
the initials fit the bill a treat.
Sincere thanks
regards
Terry

Terry,
All the drawings for Elmer's engines are available on the same site. If you look through it you will probably find the drawings for your engine. That way you can get a fresh copy that you won't have to squint at. He has a number of different wobbler plans available.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

Gail in NM

Gail / Ed my apologies for missing your posts.
they slipped thro the net whilst I was busy monitoring later posts.
Thank you both for your valued input. and I am now at the point where my first build will begin.
I have with your help identified the specific model as #25 and I have enough material to hand to make a start!!!

Latest posts

Back