Authentic Bogstandard Lead Hammer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DICKEYBIRD

Reaction score
WARNING - BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER, PART OF THIS POST IS ABOUT USING MOLTEN OR HOT METAL. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW ALL THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND CORRECT PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT THAT THIS ENTAILS, AND YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO FOLLOW ALL THE CORRECT PROCEDURES WHEN HANDLING MOLTEN OR HOT METALS, DO NOT TRY ANY OF THE HOT METAL PROCEDURES MENTIONED IN THIS POST. THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS IN THIS POST MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT, IT IS UP TO YOURSELF TO FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE CORRECT ONES
NO-ONE ON THIS SITE CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF YOUR ACTIONS IF YOU HURT YOURSELF.

THIS WARNING WAS ADDED BY ADMINISTRATION OF THIS SITE.

I was fascinated by John's lead hammers and my fascinations turn into projects in most cases.:) He asked about it over in the "Curved Spoke Flywheel Casting" thread so I thought I'd put the response here in the Tools section.

I calculated the volume of lead that would weigh about a pound and made an appropriately sized & bored aluminum mold in the mill.

HammerMold-2.jpg

I decided the little home-repair sized propane torch wouldn't put out enough heat so I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a propane weed burner. I had planned to build a Reil-style burner but after pricing the various hoses and fittings required, the $18.99 on-sale price was just too good. Man, that thing is awesome! It has a "Turbo" lever that temporarily jacks up the gas pressure and it sounds like a jet engine!

WeedBurner.jpg

I preheated the mould with the small torch in one hand whilst heating the ladle with the big one. It came out great! The only thing I'd like to do differently on the next one is to quench it in cold water while hot. Allegedly this will harden the lead slightly. I'm not so sure about that but was told that by a reputable person. Can't hurt to try.

Hammer.jpg

Cheers,
Milton

Milton,
Absolutely wonderful, and your little mould will keep you in lead hammers continuously, no excuse now for any 'hammer rash' on anything..
It is nice when a suggestion you make is taken on.

John

Bogstandard said:
Milton,
It is nice when a suggestion you make is taken on.

John
I learn from the best!:)

Like my pappy used to say, "Y'ain't real bright boy but you might learn a thing or two if you'll just shut up & listen."

Latest posts

Back