ATTN: BMW owners

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcmillin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hey all, I asked this question on a BMW forum and only had 18 views in 2 days. Needless to say no one replied. With over 200,000 members the site has very little activity.

So I ask it here, where at least people will see it.

I just purchased a 1978 BMW 320i/US. When I roll the windows down they ratchet loudly, it seems like they are sticking and then springing down fast. I was told "Thats just how they are" but are they really? I have never owned a BMW before.

Kel

No, that doesn't sound right to me. BMW is not going to leave the windows that far out of adjustment that they make noise like that. Sounds like the guide tracks are out of adjustment and pinching the glass. You may need to pull the door panels and take a look or find a BMW mechanic that will help you find the problem.

Those glasses should drop down just a little to reduce the pressure in the car to allow the doors do close and latch correctly then go back up. That's a trademark of BMW.

BillC

Kel

Drop in to your local Auto Glass repair centre. The one that replaces windshields etc Ask a technician there what causes it. My guess is that rust has set in and caused a track to come apart or shift. I had a similar problem on a 94 Chevy pickup. The track had rusted out that held the bottom of the driver side window. New track and it worked like a charm.

Cheers :)

Don

Can be several things, but there are usually several track adjustments to stop that condition. Roll it down halfway and check fore and aft movement. Do they both do the same thing? At that cars age, it is probably a stick/slip due to dried out lube.

kcmillin said:
Hey all, I asked this question on a BMW forum and only had 18 views in 2 days. Needless to say no one replied. With over 200,000 members the site has very little activity.

So I ask it here, where at least people will see it.

I just purchased a 1978 BMW 320i/US. When I roll the windows down they ratchet loudly, it seems like they are sticking and then springing down fast. I was told "Thats just how they are" but are they really? I have never owned a BMW before.

Kel
I had the same noise with the Windows in my 323i 2Door. Application of one of those 'Dri-Lube' sticks to the Channel that the Glass runs in solved the problem.

Murray.

Thanks for the help everyone. I had a sneaking suspicion that they weren't supposed to do that. Now it's time to fix it.

Thanks again,

Kel

Back