Arduino startup

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have been following Chuck Fellows' Arduino RT controller build. I would like very much to build one for my Vertex RT and home made dividing heads. I know this has been asked before, but can I get a recommendation on the parts to start this build?
I tried building a pic based RT controller from another forum, and it ended up in a box under the bench with considerable investment in parts, and still not working. The main issue was programming the pic.
I have ben googling the main parts, the Arduino Uno, the Sainsmart LCD and the Pololu driver, and looking on E-Bay. Prices seem to vary from $5 to $50 for the pieces. Can someone point out a reasonable priced kit for a pensioner? Are the cheap bits from China reliable? I got burned on pic programmers that were clones on my last project.
Anyone have a real functioning Arduino they are tired of?

Chuck

I use PIC micro exclusively, what PIC did you use? PIC16F,18F,24F,32MX? PIC 16F and 18F (and some 24F) can be programmed using the PICkit2, but good luck finding them. You can get clones off of ebay for cheap. The PICkit3 will program everything now a days, including anything new.

What part are you having trouble with? I might be able to help. I use Microchips C compiler from time to time and another "basic" like language.

I'll have to dig the 'box of shame' out of the cupboard and refresh my memory. I had great difficulty programing the PIC, I believe an 18F series. This was the controller built by Ward on the CNC forum. Last I can remember, I was making a redesigned circuit board for it. I acquired a laserjet printer and printed the artwork and etched the board. Somehow I was distracted from the project and stuck it in the cupboard during a cleaning session in the shop and never got back to it. The Arduino is cheap enough now to try that approach. Nerdz, I'll contact you via pm on the Ward kit.

Chuck

Ah yes, the laser transfer method. Ive had success on up to 10 mil traces and very tiny SMD parts, but now I use OSHpark for my PCBs :).

Word of caution: Dont buy the cheap Arduino clones On ebay! Ive heard they might be missing a few things, and the FTDI USB-UART chips may not be legit.

Here are a few sources (if you need them).

https://www.sparkfun.com/
http://www.adafruit.com/

Thanks, Chris. I would like to get started with the Arduino, with the goal of building Chuck's RT/Dividing Head Controller.
The first step would be to get the Arduino, and learn the basics, interface, etc. Then add the LCD, Stepper Driver and package it.
BTW, I am familiar with, but no expert on electronics, and programing. I am a retired USAF Avionics tech, and now a retired computer tech. I taught Digital Electronics, Soldering and Avionics in the USAF for 10 years, but that was a long time ago. At the beginning of my career, we repaired Avionics to the component level, at the end, everything was tested by computer and swapping modules.
I have been away from it for 25 years, except for a few projects. I still do computer support on a part time, occasional basis. I would have had a ball with an Arduino project 30 years ago. I had my Digital Electronics students build logic gates, flip-flops, etc.
I guess it has to be easy stuff now to keep my interest. Harder for me to figure stuff out.

Chuck

In taking baby steps to blow the cobwebs from my head on this programming lark, I found a software based Arduino simulator.
This simulator will run on windows, Mac, or Linux computers. I downloaded it here:

http://elearning.amikom.ac.id/index...-ST125-43/Naskan, S.Kom/Simulator arduino UNO

In theory, it should allow you to run sketches in a test environment. I am trying to run some of the simple sketches such as Blink from the Arduino site. Blink worked.

The simulator interface is similar to the PIC programming interfaces in that it displays the code and allows editing. It also allows simulation of devices connected to the Arduino inputs/outputs such as resistors, LED's, push buttons, Servos, DC motors.

I have downloaded a simple sketch called Button from the Arduino site that on the simulator connects a push button as an input and an LED as an output. It should lite the LED when the button is pushed(mouse click). Can't get the LED to light. The push button is recognized but the LED doesn't lite. Guess the sim has a faulty PIC, eh?

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for this link. I've been looking for a simulator for a while and this is the first one I've found that works.

I loaded that "button" sketch and it works for me. I hooked up the LED, the pushbutton and a resistor. Once I ran it, it showed the LED that is on the board, too.

Only problem I had was if I didn't hold the button in for a short period of time, it wouldn't light. It seems a little jumpy to me, though. I'll have to hook up a real circuit to see if it works the same.

Those boards and acessories have gotten really cheap. I bought 4 Arduino Pro compatible for $8.24 shipped and 2 Uno compatible with a micro usb port input for $8.30 shipped.

I've been working on a couple of projects. The important one is a timer to count clock ticks so I know how much to adjust the pendulum length. The second is a small altimeter. Link here: https://code.google.com/p/tiny-altimeter/

I've been really impressed with all of the stuff I've bought, so far.

Good luck on your project.

The nice part about arduino is that it does not need a programmer- it works right off a simple usb cable and the sw handles it all. Much easier than PICs

Try your local Radio Shack- they may have real arduinos there for reasonable prices- and I like buying local when I can.

I bought a couple arduino clones from Marlin Jones, called a sumariduino but they were both dead and I can not find any info on the net about drivers for them. Saved a few bucks but got junk. Buy real arduino and support the guys that developed them and made such great products available to all.

Chuck,

I saw you asked about the 1602 LCD.
The Sparkfun LCD Button Shield is the equivalent of the Sainsmart board.
I don't think you can simulate that board on the simulator you found.
The switches are hooked up through a voltage divider connected to one of the analog pins. I didn't see a way to do that and I didn't see an LCD routine either.

The good thing about Arduino is there are sketches to do almost anything you want. You just have to put them together. It's kind of like electronic Legos.

Hi Chuck

Oddly enough when I started Highschool and then college thats how I started out (despite already having programming experience). Logic gates, K-Maps and then FPGA's (which were fun). Ask me how often I use any of that-None, but the basics I use on a daily basis. When I program at work (I program PLCs) most of the stuff is in graphical format, in the form of switches. Easy enough. I keep my skills up once and a while by programming PICs. I havent done much, but I have gotten building blocks working; mostly because of time or I get frustrated sitting for too long.

So Lets say I have a project I want to achieve. I'll use a remote Data logger as an example. First and formost, you need to sample analog data. Alright cool, BUT It needs to be sampled at once per second. Sure you can mess with delays and what not, but this would be a great way to use a Timer (The actual timer on the microprocessor itself-not a software defined timer!). So I read the datasheet, and read it again. Look if others have done it and put the code to work. If it works, Ok Cool! If not: Ok where did I go wrong. I tend not to try and get frustrated with it. Its a hobby and something for fun. So now I have some block of code that works. Alright, lets sample Analog data. Then lets transmit that data.

Basically, approach this project in blocks. One thing at a time.You might be able to get away with throwing it all together and get really luckly..But then you have the physical connections to worry about.

Now, so you dont tie up your arduino platform, I would get some blank chips. I believe you can program them using the Arduino. You can do this if you want to make a custom PCB or mount it all on a small board.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

Also heres another simulator
http://123d.circuits.io/

Now I'll agree that MPLAB leaves much to be desired in terms of interfaces, but I actually like it. Also, if you want to give PICs another chance at some point Look at Swordfish SE. Its specifically for the PIC18F series. It has a ton of libararies (like ADC,UART, etc) and a few tutorials, but You have to know your way around PIC registers sometimes

http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/swordfish/

Thanks everyone. When, and if, I get my refund from the CTC 'fiasco of the round inserts', I will invest in an Arduino setup and start learning something new.
Chuck

If a 1602 LCD shield is listed as for an Arduino Duemilanove Robot, will it work with an Arduino Uno R3?
I found one on Flea-Bay for $4.00 with free shipping.

Chuck

Yes, as long as it uses that common controller (HD44780, etc). Theres one with a serial connection. That will work too.

Been playing with Arduino for a couple years. Bought my first one from Sparkfun and played with it for a while. Then I got a couple 328 chips with the bootloader preinstalled. Swapped the chips into my Arduino board and programmed them, then puled them out and used them in their own circuit, standalone. Then I got some unprogrammed 328s and made a small board and loaded the bootloader using the Arduino as an ISP to program them. Then I used a different smaller chip in the family and used it to make a stepper motor driver. Then I got to using a bigger chip in the family to make a flash memory programmer.

The Arduino was a great way to begin. It works. Get the board that uses the 20 pin DIP as that allows you to remove the 328 and insert another one.

Back