Aquarium pumps

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyboy

Reaction score
A sidetrack from Deere's beam engine post. I tried to run my C_Thru_Oscillator with an Aquarium pump. Then tried a bigger pump. It seems to push out, but won't carry thru to next stroke. Tried bigger bore. Tried lighter flywheel. Just not enough pump volume? or pressure?. I know my engine has a bit of friction that should be worked out. It will run with tank regulator gage pegged @ 0 psi. Or do I need a double acting design, to enable use of aq. pump? Anybody have wisdom to share?

Dave: I am kind of shooting from the hip here but hope I can clear things up a bit. This engine will run on breath power .
http://homemodelenginemachinist.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10004&pos=-21
for an aquarium pump a air gage in psi is pretty much useless. You need one calibrated in inches of water column. I can tell you that one of the guys on another board built an engine similar to mine the measured presser requirements are about the same as mine. he does run his on an aquarium pump. With a proper fit and finish I believe you can run a single action engine on an aquarium pump. You may need to get away from the oscillator design . IIRC my Lucy runs on about 5 psi.
Tin

Hi

Have a look at my post 'A COMPRESSOR' in the tools section.

Cheers

Have you considered building a small air compressor from scratch? If you can build an engine, you can probably knock out a pretty nice compressor as well. The Nov / Dec 2000 issue of Home Shop Machinist had a build article on a nice little 1.0625" bore x 1.000" stroke belt driven compressor. It used a 1.25" gate valve body for the crankcase casting and went from there. Nice looking compressor!

Chuck

Thanks fellows, for the prompt replies. Reason for aquarium pump is, I was hoping to give engine as a Christmas gift, to Dad, who goes south for winter months. We had been running on a small freon tank (converted to air). Aquarium pump would be MUCH more compact and convenient. With deadline approaching fast, I have to decide whether keep trying to tune up what I have, or to try a quick finger engine similar to Cfellows' treadle engine and Bogstandard's recent post. coincidence, I had cut some stock for that project on Monday nite Dec.10. Leaning toward the finger engine, must get down to business....
P.S. Looking at the things you guys build, gives me something to aim for. thanks again to all of you Master Craftsmen for sharing your wisdom with guys like me. I'm honored. Davyboy

Just a thought... Try putting a small expansion tank between the air pump and engine. Let the air pump fill the tank before trying to start the engine. It may not have enough volume to keep the engine turning to the next power stroke.

Frank

harbor freight and tools sells a small compressor for $100 that is used to power air brushes. It puts out enough air to run your engine and last a long time. I used it to run my steam powered pencil sharpener. I have not been able to get the boiler running yet. you can carry the compressor with one hand . It weight about 15 pounds and puts out about 30 psi. It has a demand switch on it.
Don

Don Huseman said:
...my steam powered pencil sharpener....

Ok Don... statements like that require pictures. Steam Powered Pencil Sharpener??? I would like to see it ;D sounds like something up my alley.

Eric

I am not sure how to post a picture on this web sight. Tell me how and I will show you. It is a work in progress. It now sharpens pencils but it has not be automated yet. I have to ad two more flyball governors and flames to keep the grabbers piston hot. It looks like a small lathe . The head stock is were the Boston sharpening rolls are. The carriage has two grabbers that has two opposing v the hold the pencil. The piston that I need to work the grabber's is yet to be built. The tail stock will be a pencil holder with a steam piston that will shove out the old pencil with the new pencil. The grabber's on the carriage will open and close as they travel up and down the ways. For shits and grins a little steam whistle will sound as a pencil is sharpened. The carriage is move with a half nut like a regular lathe. The return will be by a counter balance weight. To keep the counter balance weight form slamming the carriage on the back stroke I will have a flyball governor work a friction brake on the ways.
Of course the wood chips that are formed are going into the boiler fire box.
Question?
Is there perpetual pencil sharpening of the pencil wood chips.
Don Huseman

Don,

I am sure there are some on this site who can explain pictures, hosting etc... a lot better than I. If you like, you can email them to and i can host em for you.

Eric

Latest posts

Back