Double-Acting Twin-Beam Engine done

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crueby

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Just finished this one - a double-acting twin-beam engine. The cylinders are 1" diameter, 2" stroke, and have a standard slide valve. The main beams ate 12" long, and are suspended by a single central post. It runs nice and slow on just a couple pounds of air (the guage on my regulator is just above 0 with it just ticking over, not sure what pressure it really runs down to). There is a needle valve to control the flow so I can leave the air tank at a higher setting and control it at the engine.

Here are a couple shots of it:
IMG_3913a.jpg

IMG_3914a.jpg

And a shot of it next to its little brother, a mini double acting beam engine that I built a couple months ago:
IMG_3916a.jpg

Here is a video of it in action. There is a slight sticky point at the top of the right hand piston that is causing it to hitch a little, but that is running in and going away. Just have to sit and watch it run some more! :D
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYgt7npWCMM[/ame]

There is a build thread for this engine over in the Work In Progress forum:
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f31/double-acting-twin-beam-engine-build-22713/

Ok I admit it, im an addict.. i have watched the video five times now and want to watch it a few more.. Is there a cure that doesnt involve walking barefoot through a pile of ss swarf?

crueby,

Outstanding. Lots of moving parts to watch. I could see this driving Brian R's. marble machine.

Like the sound, too. I like engines like this running slow over manycylinder models high-revving.

Thanks for a great post and build log.

--ShopShoe

Absolutely gorgeous! Beautifully executed piece of fine machinery done to the last detail.
Thanks for sharing.

Ok I admit it, im an addict.. i have watched the video five times now and want to watch it a few more.. Is there a cure that doesnt involve walking barefoot through a pile of ss swarf?

Dunno - I am still watching it myself...! ;D

I recently saw a picture of a beam engine driving a large orrery.... That could be a really fun build! I was hoping this one would run well slow, that is why I picked a large bore, long stroke, plus the needle valve, which lets me rhun a higher pressure but keep the flow down - seems to be a great combination.

Im up over ten times now LOL, I just can just picture that engine (scaled up a bit) in my 9' whitehall coupled up to a couple paddlewheels...

Im up over ten times now LOL, I just can just picture that engine (scaled up a bit) in my 9' whitehall coupled up to a couple paddlewheels...

Great idea! My first boat was a whitehall i got in Maine. Then I learned boatbuilding and started a whole new hobby. Some friends of mine want me to put it in my kayak, but I think the boiler flame under the hatch might be an issue!

Hi Crueby

that's an interesting, and beautifully made engine. Love engines that tick over slowly, and have a lot of moving parts. Mesmerizing

Les

Latest posts

Back