Another complete newbie...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfernsler

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've recently installed a 1979 Jet JMD-15 vertical mill that I had inherited from my grandfather a few years ago. He was a machinist by trade, but used the mill mostly for his wood working hobby post-retirement. My first foray into machining happened just a few days ago as I made a set of t-nuts on the mill and it was a fantastic experience... During the day I'm an animator and visual effects artist so it's a very nice departure from my standard 8-10 hrs of the day.

I am deeply impressed and inspired by all of the work I see on this site, not to mention the level of professionalism and assistance that's shown to those completely new to the hobby such as myself. So I'm going to go ahead and thank all of you ahead of time for inspiring me to move forward knowing that there's a solid support base here..

Also, I'm located outside of Philadelphia so if anyone knows of a decent metal supply shop in the area or a place where they offer some evening/weekend classes, I'd welcome any of that knowledge.

Thanks!!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
Welcome to the forum. I live in Lancaster so not too far away from you. I've found some good metal suppliers in this area. They are machine shops so they use the good stuff. I've been able to get steel and aluminum I need from them. PM me for more info. For brass or bronze I tend to try eBay if I can afford to wait, otherwise one of the big houses will do, although they're getting at least $7/lb for brass right now.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Jeremy

Welcome on board. As you have already noticed this is an incredibly friendly and helpful place to be.
Making tools such as your "T" nuts and many other things is part of the pleasure of this hobby and you have made a good start.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Jeremy,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hey Jeremy,

Glad to have you aboard! Always nice to see a new face, figuratively speaking. :)

Chuck

malcolmt said:
As you have already noticed this is an incredibly friendly and helpful place to be.

Speak for yourself! ;D

Er, Hi, Jeremy. This actually is a pretty cool place to hang out and sort of absorb the ambience (or is that cutting oil?) while listening to the dulcet tones of bigger pieces of metal becoming smaller pieces of metal, sometimes under protest. Bonus points are given for originality, extreme cleverness and bling ... though maybe not in that order. The only person you may have to watch for is that escapee from the Home for the terminally Weird over in Hawaii ... but he's usually harmless. Kind of.

Have fun, enjoy and watch for the Fluffy Bunnies.

Best regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back