Aluminium suitablity as angle plate?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Straight up Tel
credit card in hand all set to order a coupla bits for trial (60° V)
and no result

I didn't mean to make a specific target of that business, but the fact remains....

Rgds, Lin

OK. just had a look and their shopping system seems to be doing something funny.

However, if you click on the item(s) you want to buy, and then click on 'shopping cart' up the top, you will find 'em there.

Nope, did exactly that Tel, nothing
tis why I went to their "about us"

If it's a glitch, I apologize profoundly and profusely.

could well have been a glitch - it seemed to be working OK just now

nope, same-same
I even tried with firefox (I'm currently trying out google chrome)
no result and no pop-up warnings

what browser you using there Tel?
(not that it should make any difference)

G'day wallah

yeah the site is sticky

it does not like IE i use FF too and have no drama's but did have before i updated it..

code is funny that way also if your ISP has a proxy it does add to cart but you cant see the updated display

like i said great for tools or bits but the machines are crap no name and no parts..

ask for max by phone and tell him jack johnson from riverwood he'll know.. his Mrs too..

they are both chinese folks so when talking talk SLOW ( pity they dont) but decent gear in the tool sections and the only place in sydney that stocks wire guage drills in cobalt loose ( not just sets)

Bolt is ok but a tad pricey but do have some good specials so check those. got a TiNi coated HSS drill set 1mm- 12mm in 0.1 mm incriments for $89 from bolt a few months ago from the specials page they sold the lot in a day or two though so i get the emails from them now 1 a month so not flooded with junk..

cheers

jack

Bolt is the only place I could find spotting drills when I wanted a couple - pretty good value at under $10, I thought.

I'll agree with the other comments here and say that I think Aluminium will be fine for this application.

However, I couldn't help but notice that you appear to be milling with a drill chuck, and there are a couple of issues you need to watch out for here.

Firstly, if the drill chuck is held in the spindle by only the Morse taper then there is a high probability it may drop out under load, as morse tapers are not really that good at taking side loads.
MT milling collets/holders are always held in with a drawbar.
Secondly, it's the same problem with drill chucks, as they aren't really designed or capable of taking side loads, and I think you run the risk of one of the 3 jaws breaking and releasing the cutter at high speed!

I know that 'needs must' sometimes and we can occasionally get the job done without the right equipment, but please by very careful here, and I would strongly advise you to use a properly secured collet or collet chuck or toolholder.

Lets be careful out there...

Peter

G'day Peter

cheers for that my collets go from small to 12mm then 15mm and up to 22

and i do have a fractional set but the 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" is worn to heck as i use them most often

i'm using a 1/2 " (12.7mm) face mill as i dont have a 1/2" 2 flute slot cutter as thats worn as well

i will get to McJings next week and replenish the bits and collets are coming from Titan but my spending spree the past week has tapped my resources until the cheque from the last job clears next week, i was only doing 1/2mm deep cuts but its slow and i may skip that and do some paying work until i get the right tools next week.

got nothing done much after the Disks arrived and my mate jumped into the home brew anyway ( i lock the tool room once the beer fridge is opened) rule one full strength home brew and power tools dont mix

beside we spent hours going through the site here looking at everyone builds etc etc etc

thanks again for the concern

cheers

jack

Thanks again Jack, Tel and co

I've tried Mcjings again, with no result
That's 2 days on the trot with 3 different browsers (yes, I even tried IE)

Anyway, I've emailed em, I'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Lin

Wallah

want me to pick up the stuff for you? they are not far from me and yes they have a single phone line that doubles as the fax line, its hard to get them at times ( most of the time )

why i buy tool bits from them and nothing that may need support or parts

collets i prefer US or UK/german made ones so get those elsewhere for those ( Titan )

last set i got was chinese ( cheapies from scarey forbes) and i've worn them way too fast, there is no savings to be made with some cheap things

I admit i am hard on tools and tooling ( amatuers are ) but the small ammount i got that where good quality are all still ok despite me being a butcher so i've ordered a set but at a price! but lifetime guarentee on them like the few good ones i have bought one at a time or inherited with the old machines.

If you want anything fast let me know an i'll take the bird for a walk and grab some wiper motors on the way past ;)

cheers

jack

Wallah

i've had a few folks say today that they had the same dramas with mcjings site
so i've gone in and looked at the code.

heres a way through for you

first navigate with the left side menu only

2 once you have the page you want select the item you want buy selecting the order button under the order now text the page will refresh it does not show up but its been added to a cookie on YOUR PC

now select other items if you wish then when your done shopping at the top there is a little shopping cart and the words shopping cart in the green bar select that and a new page will open with all your items on it this page gets its data from the cookie on your PC if you have cookies blocked then it will be empty

this is the best way to get through the site

the coding is lousy i know

i think they used a freebie cart software or need to get a refund from whoever wrote it and there is bugger all security on the whole site so my thoughts are do not use your credit card there but use the bank deposit direct info, the secure socket ( https) does not engage and i could not find the certificate and i can access the whole site ( and the office PC !!!)

hope this helps

jack

G'day gents

if anyone is interested george ( offcuts galore on Oztion.com.au) will put up a couple more peices of the big Aluminium angle in the coming days

he dropped by today with some 4140 and i mentioned someone had asked but did not see any on his listings so it will be listed this weekend if he remembers if not send him a message and he's good that way

cheers

jack

Jack, thanks for the offer of pickup and the advice re shopping cart.
Frankly mate, it's not worth it.
As I said, I even emailed the guy, no reply as of Fri night.
He's obviously not interested in my business.
I do try to give Oz businesses a go, but seems my small (initial) orders don't interest them.

At my current small level of business, I go through $1000 worth of router tooling PA.
Am I going to place a $1000 order with an unknown supplier?

I'm sorry, I know this is an amateur site dedicated to model engines (yup, I'm still working on the steam triple drawings)
Any day now, I should also have the boiler codes :D

Thanks and regards,
Lin

dont blame you mate as i live close by i attend in person using the phone with them is hard the web site . err scary ( would not use a CC on it) go where you get good service and feel good about the deal ..

cheers

jack

underscore and exclamation point on what Peter said, don't use a drill chuck to hold a milling cutter.

Another vote for bolt and pin, or get it normalized after welding. Its not just the distortion, its that stresses are set up in the metal and the piece will keep moving. Anytime a weldment becomes part of tooling or a machine, its should be stress relieved or better normalized - that's not NASA stuff its just what needs to be done, homeshop or otherwise. It's tough enough doing good work without worrying about whether the tooling is off.

.... and don't be too quick to say 'good enough'. Its worth striving for high levels of accuracy with tooling. The reason is accumulated error. Stack a couple of pieces of tooling together each being out a couple of thou and if the stars line up and the cancel each other great, but if they accumulate all of a sudden everything you make is out say 8 thou. engines will bind, parts won't fit etc etc. Tooling has to be made to some fraction of the best tolerance you expect to work to. imo spending the time to get it right will pay dividends, not doing so will make it a source of ongoing frustration.

So far as choice of material goes, steel would be better in the sense of tensile strength, elasticity and cost. The modulus of elasticity of AL is about 1/3 of steel - steel has less flexibility. ...that doesn't mean that you can't get the same rigidity and strength out of AL, just that you'd have to use a lot more of it so its not as good a choice. Where AL shines is in things that have get off the ground, or otherwise watch their weight. While using more of a more expensive material makes it less desirable, there are often other issues such as what we have stock etc so we use it.....that it is AL doesn't mean your plate won't work, but strength and elasticity are two basic strength of material issues that affect material choices and that was your intro to them :D

Back