Adjustable Reamers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an adjustable reamer that had metal cuttings lodge in the flutes. I decided to clean these flutes since I thought that metal cuttings could become trapped under the cutting blades and would cause the the blades to sit at different heights. I removed all of the blades and cleaned the flutes and replaced the blades not in any particular position, since they all appeared identical. However, I thought afterwards that the blades may have a specific position. Intuitively I thought that final sharpening of the blades would be done in position to counteract any manufacturing tolerances in the flute depth and blade height. Can anyone tell me if this is true.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

All the blades are the same size so there location makes no difference.

The blades all have to be faced so the taper at the end of each blade, is at the round end of the reamer, not the squared end. By doing this the cutting edges will all be of the right side of the blade as viewed from the square end.

Thanks for the responses. I was reluctant in my initial post to say that after fittting the blades there is a slight variation in the effective diameter of each pair of blades, when measured with my dial vernier caliper, which only has a resolution of 0.001". Adjustable reamers because of their construction can't be as accurate as a fixed one.

Brian

Back