acme shaft whip

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don Huseman

My engineer Friend is building an elevator form his garage to the living room in his house. He wants to raise the elevator platform up about 7 ft. The 1.25 4 acme thread stock will rotate at 1750 rpm. With the elevator down all the way will have about 6.5 ft of thread stock , held from the top in donward thrust and supported at the bottom by ball bearing. Will we have whip on the thread stock? What will the ride be like when the elevator room is being whipped around . will you come out the the elevator feeling like " you have been shaken, but not stirred"

Could you please explain to me in easily understood terms, how making an elevator has anything to do with making model engines or machine tooling.

Please could this post be transfered to the correct area. The break room.

Thank you

John

HI
I have a feeling your looking at a problem job. Using Acme for this sounds reasonable but not at the RPM's your looking at especialy under compression even on a 1.25 DIA thread. Would it not be easier to use a pulley system as in a full size lift? I woulod think the pulley system would also be a lot safer.

Interesting problem to look at thank you.

Cheers kevin

P/s John this sems a reasonable topic for any engineering based forum.

John, you're right. This post has nothing to do with model engineering.

Don,

Please try to adhere to the forum subject in the future.

Don Marv and Bogs are right here: your post are drifting off topic.
we are now up to nearly 600 members and 1.5 million hits a month.
We can not allow the good thing we have here to degrade.
Tin Falcon Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back