A mistake with a rocker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwin

Reaction score
Hello,

on the week end I have been founded a small Rocking engine and, besides, a mistake has happened to me.

Because the piston is only one thin disc and forms with the piston rod a unity, the connecting rod bolt is led by a small drilling at the end of this piston. The gudgeon pins with 1.5 mm of diameter I have turned from a piece of Saint 37 and too exactly have probably worked a little bit. When I wanted to try tight fit, I could push the piston quite easily on the bolt, but all of a sudden the whole was steady. Before I had held the piston a few minutes in the hand and had warmed up him so. When I pushed then the colder bolt in the drilling, he shrank on and can be moved no more. With the attempt to separate both parts then I still tore off the bolt and had to produce thus both parts anew.

Edwin

k-10.JPG

Sorry to hear that Edwin...must have been a really close fit if the heat from your hand was enough to "shrink" fit it. Fortunately it shouldn't take too long to remake them.

Bill

Back