7/8" ID Pipe/tube ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSA-Chipmaker

Reaction score
My Dad gave me an Atlas MFC horizontal milling machine a while back. I bought a couple of cutters to use on the arbor but have run into a problem finding spacers to use on it. The arbor is 7/8" OD. I tried several places but haven't found any pipe or tube locally that could be used to make some. Either too big ID or too small to bore out and leave any wall thickness?? Should I try to bore out some solid round bar? Aluminum would be easier on this machine and I don't have much room for that. Any ideas?
Thanks, Gary

Hello Gary,

You might try looking in a Farm and Fleet or other such outlet that deals with farm implements. They sell shaft bushings for various things in standard sizes (ID/OD) and in varying lengths. Short of doing it yourself or having them made for you, this would be a reasonable alternative. You may have to devise a plan to cut them to the desired length but that should prove to be a minor obstacle.

BC1
Jim

Thks to both of you!! :big: I hadn't thought of using bushings.
There is a farm & fleet store in town. If they don't have something, as Steamer suggested I
can order them online.
Steamer: I have all of the parts for the arbor including the support arm and the end casting with bushings. I will remember your advice. The jam nut probably doesn't need to be super tight since there is a keyway to drive the cutter??
Gary

EDIT: Thks for the link to MSC. Looks like they have a lot of things I need!!

Not super tight...but not loose either! Your trying to turn the arbor and the cutter into a "solid" piece.

Good geometry of the spacers makes the arbor more rigid...if the spacers aren't square and parallel....it puts a twist in the arbor and the cutter will run out...when that happens your only cutting with a couple of the teeth.....that will ruin the cutter eventually.

Hunt around, your should be able to beat MSC's price if that's the issue. But get the proper spacers for the job, it saves money in the long run.

Dave

Thks steamer;
Looks like I will get the set from Jeff on ebay and may need to add a couple of extras from MSC. I need to fill about 12" on the length of the arbor.
Actually I hadn't thought about the cost of them yet. I was thinking that F&F would be quicker. I learned a long time ago to not buy cheap tools. They really cost you more in the long run because you end up breaking them or worse and then buying the better ones anyway.
Thks again. Gary

hey mate im another happy customer from tools4cheap and i was having the same problem as you most cutters i found are 1 inch bore and he sells a 1 inch arbor so i snapped one up

HI browny289;
Thks, Glad to hear you like tools4cheap too. It's good to get reviews from satisfied customers. I just ordered the 7/8" set as I already had the 7/8" arbor. Another reason why this forum is such a great source of info. I have overcome any reservations I had about asking newbie questions. Since I haven't had any training I appreciate these guys very much. Gary

Hi Gary,

We all start somewhere....ask away!

Dave

Latest posts

Back