4-Jaw Cheater Key

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWarfield

Reaction score
I've had the idea for a long time, but finally decided to draw it up after reading Marv Klotz's treatise on setting up a 4-jaw so the work is centered. Before I go further, let me say that I'm very comfortable with my 4-jaw, having followed Forrest Addy's advice and made myself use it exclusively for awhile. You have to be able to indicate things in around a shop or you'll be very limited in what you can do. However, that doesn't mean a gadget or two might not help out.

Marv advocates making a second key to streamline the task so you can work two keys at once. The idea I've had for a long time was to tie the two together so a single motion works both keys.

Here's my crazy idea:

4JawCheaterKeyRhino.jpg

The top chuck key is fixed, while the bottom is spring-loaded. The spring-load needs enough range to engage and deal with the fact that the key may be sunk down in the chuck quite a ways with smaller work pieces. The beauty is that when you tie them together like this, they will automatically move in opposite directions, one tightening, the other loosening.

I don't think it would be too hard to make one of these, so I'll probably get started if I hit a lull in my current disc grinder project. Seems like you could pop this key onto your 4-jaw and dial a part in really fast with something like this.

Has anyone ever seen one of these built?

Cheers,

BW

That is very clever, thankyou for sharing that idea.

Latest posts

Back