1st post

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justlesh

Reaction score
Steppin in here to say hello. My name is Les Holt from west central Indiana. I have no one around me that plays with anything like this that I am aware of so I catch myself loafing around the internet sites. 25+ yr's machining for a living, two boys grown and gone, two grand daughters, just divorced and ready to make chips at home again.
I have quite a bit of progress done on a self designed billet V-8 but gravitating towards tackeling the holt 75 engine. The only break from the V-8 had been working on a cam grinder design.
My shop consist of an older 9x42 short knee bridgeport with power feed and dro's, a PM 1236 lathe with collet and dro's, an X-2 cnc conversion started, a cummins 7X12 mini lathe, "kind of nice for those tiny little parts", an old hardinge flat belt lathe around 7" swing also, miller syncrowave 160, and cabinet sand blaster. On the hunt for a decent surface grinder plus a horizontal band saw capable of miter cuts without moving the vice.
Attached is a pic of the V-8 being line bored for bearings. Also can't wait to get the cam grinder going. When I get new camera I post a few pics of it.
Thanks for you indulgence and later.

DCP_0022.JPG

Les,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

wEc1 you've come to the right place...some neighbourly types around here.

Looks like a great start on the V8

Regards

Philly

Welcome!

I look forward to seeing your progress. I'm in central ohio (east side of columbus).

If you have the time come see me and some others at the mideast model show in Zanesville. http://deboltmachine.com/_wsn/page13.html

It is October 23 and 24.

Make sure to bring some parts along to show off!

justlesh said:
Attached is a pic of the V-8 being line bored for bearings. Also can't wait to get the cam grinder going. When I get new camera I post a few pics of it.
Thanks for you indulgence and later.

Welcome, love the pic, best way to grasp concepts is pictures, keep them coming
Four bolt mains? Now thats fancy, gonna put some NOS, a turbo perhaps on that hot rodder?

Hey foozer, tiz better to be thought a fool spill is my face book statement, just love it when someone asks what it means, just smile and comment on something else. Knowing my habbits I might concider spraying it if I could keep a spark lit in the cylinder. Most parts should hold up, crank is 41L40 hardend to around mid 40's, 4140 rods lightened. Pistons, valve spring keepers, valve seats and most of the valves are done. Cam blank is made but trying to decide on profile to use and working on a cam/crank grinder. Just getting back to shop a little more but still got some home refurbishing to take care of. Kind of hard to determine which is more important ::) but I'm sure she'll let me know.
Thanks for the welcomes guys. Now I have a place to throw out some of the crazy ideas that occupie my idle time. Oh yeah, ordered camera today.

Les,

Welcome. I can't wait to see that V8 finished. Looking forward to pictures.

Bob

Latest posts

Back