Making quick change tool post holders (picture heavy)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davo J

Reaction score
Hi,
I have had 6 Dickson style holders for many years but didn't want to buy any more at $80 each over here, so I decided to make my own. I did consider buying a wedge style from the US, but I would loose money on this one as it cost me $500 8 years ago.
I made these up last year but am just getting around to posting them now because of the house move. I am still yet to decide what finish is going on them.
My mate gave me a piece of plate (column base of a large shed) a few years back and I have kept it for this purpose. It was 550 x 350 x 32mm thick and the tool holders are 31.75 deep so close enough to the thickness of the factory ones.
I had to cut it up but it wouldn't fit in the bandsaw so I put 2 cuts in it outside with the 9inch grinder.
After that it was about 4-5 hours sitting by the saw cutting it into little blocks.The bandsaw was clean before I started and the carbon blade did a good job.
This is the Dickson style tool post, it has 2 V's and a slot where it is pulled back onto the V's via a cam action in the tool post, very simple really.
Picture1695.jpg

Picture2928_zps78fb59e9.jpg

Picture2932_zpscd293aa4.jpg

Picture2934_zps08017995.jpg

Picture2949_zps3ac4b308.jpg

Picture2951_zps6794e47f.jpg

Once they where all cut up I faced the sides and the ends with the horizontal spindle and a carbide end mill.
Picture2957_zps5f7fe48e.jpg

The slot was then roughed out.
Picture2958_zps3734bfc1.jpg

One side of the V roughed out
Picture2962_zps27f20400.jpg

The other side of the V roughed out.
Picture2965_zps7d87deac.jpg

The pile roughed out to get rid of most of the waist metal.You can see a red and blue one there, I colored these because they came off the saw a little thin so I marked them like this as they where not the same as the others. It was only something small like 0.25-0.5mm but it makes a difference in setting them up in a jig.
Picture2967_zpsfb9ed73b.jpg

This is the jig I used for the roughing angle for the V's.
Picture2969_zps9fb83fdf.jpg

Here I am roughing the slot wider with a hoging end mill, it was easier to widen the slot with the vertical spindle than the horizontal spindle.
Picture2975_zpsaec1a345.jpg

The finish left from the roughing end mill.
Picture2976_zps17b383c5.jpg

Finishing the slot
Picture2980_zps35bf14ca.jpg

Cutting the slot with a key seat cutter. It was a bit blunt so I sharpened it using the lathe, it then did the whole job.
Picture2981_zps44870707.jpg

You can see how the swarf filled the vice, so I cut up some ice cream container to help out.
Picture2984_zps2be417ee.jpg

The little key cutter moved so metal
Picture2994_zpsaf40aed5.jpg

Facing them all
Picture2996_zpsaea3cef1.jpg

Knocking the corners off with a 45 degree end mill
Picture3002_zps0a9de8f2.jpg

Picture3005_zps42b9db9f.jpg

Picture3009_zps39e3d4dd.jpg

Finishing the V's
Picture3010_zpsafc21efa.jpg

Picture3012_zps52171dcd.jpg

Picture3014_zps1b5f568b.jpg

Picture3062_zpsb2fc34bd.jpg

Picture3065_zpsd0eebf97.jpg

machining a flat on top of the V's
Picture3069_zps7c709770.jpg

Drilling all the holes with a temporary shield
Picture3072_zps667fbae7.jpg

This is the tap set up I used, the coolant flushed out the chips so things went quicker. I had to tap 230 M8 holes.
Picture3082_zps728d85a6.jpg

I cut up the 25mm bar for the adjusters, drilled and taped them, then mad up this arbour to thread them on for all there operations.
Picture3151_zpsba5b6843.jpg

Making the adjusters
Picture3093_zps745f2608.jpg

Picture3094_zpscb3ba270.jpg

Picture3097_zps29e96067.jpg

I stole the wheels off the push knurler and made a clamp knurler
Picture3098_zpsc2af6a0b.jpg

Picture3114_zps6ad8a727.jpg

Picture3124_zps83cc6fe9.jpg

Knurling the adjusters
Picture3136_zps94afc27a.jpg

Picture3139_zpsc7a97df6.jpg

My temporary coolant set up run off the mill.
Picture3137_zps2f3caf8e.jpg

Picture3140_zps96e97419.jpg

Picture3142_zpsba62a12f.jpg

All knurled
Picture3146_zps1409a9b7.jpg

Most of the shaving that where caught after knurling.
Picture3147_zpsa01fd4f9.jpg

I set up these tools in 2 tool holders to do all the operations in one go
Picture3165_zps2b4e1556.jpg

Machined the outside diameter
Picture3166_zps43e73a6f.jpg

Taking of the sharp corner
Picture3168_zps1babd15d.jpg

Taking off the bottom edge.
Picture3170_zpsd35581bf.jpg

All done, I made 60 odd for spares as I never want to make these again,LOL
Picture3180_zps4b7739c9.jpg

All of them heated up and dunked in oil
Picture3184_zpseda85716.jpg

What a repetitious job
Picture3191_zps2fbc9729.jpg

Finished
Picture3198_zps6e1ae71c.jpg

Picture3199_zpsd636481e.jpg

The one stuff up when I was roughing them, oh well it will get used for something like an indicator holder.

I picked up 1500 odd grub screws from the UK for just over $100, a lot cheap than buying them here for $50 odd dollar a box of 100.There is more than in the picture they are just the M8 ones need for the tool holders.
I have different lengths so I will be able to custom fit the grub screws to different size tooling I put in them
holders and will be changing my factory holders over to grub screws as well. The square he bolts where just to expensive and I would rather they didn't stick up above the holder.
Photo0073_zpse4387a96.jpg

Wow that was a lot of work.
Dave

Looks like you made yourself a thousand dollars worth of tooling and will never have to buy another one.
Tin

Looks like you made yourself a thousand dollars worth of tooling and will never have to buy another one.
Tin

To buy these over here would cost around $3500 from Hare and Forbes, not that I would pay that.

I paid $500 for the tool post and 4 holders many years ago, so it was either try to sell it and buy a wedge style from the US of make my own, it was cheaper making my own.

Dave

That is great work, but I actually needed the wedge type !! So if you could make me 10 or 15 It would be great thanks... Seriously though that is a great job ! Like Tin said your set for life on tool holders...Bill

That is great work, but I actually needed the wedge type !! So if you could make me 10 or 15 It would be great thanks... Seriously though that is a great job ! Like Tin said your set for life on tool holders...Bill

Thanks, I left 10 holders blank for special holders like dial indicator, knurl etc.

Dave

Bill :
in the USA it barely pays to make our own wedge style. Yes you can . If you are retired and have the time and the steel it may make sense.

but for those of us that still work for a living do not have lots of shop time and we have a few bucks in our pocket cdco and shars sells axa holders for just over $10 each and they will ship USPS flat rate so another ten buck shipping I think they can get ten in a box. they may not last as long as Aloris but they work.
Tin

This tool post I can not fault it, it's beautifully rock hard ground finished and shows no signs of wear after many years or regular use, it's just the price of the holders.
I bought this before my internet days, but if I was to buy one today I would buy one from CDCO. I almost did a few years back and was going to sell this one. Even with postage to Aus it's cheap to buy through them.

Dave

Here are some detailed shots of how the tool post works for those that are not familiar with it. I think it simpler than the wedge style and also think the tool holders are easier to make than the dovetail ones.
It would not be hard to make up a tool post in the home work shop.

Sorry about the crappy pictures they are off my phone.

Photo0075Medium_zpsdf30976f.jpg

Photo0076Medium_zps8670120b.jpg

Photo0077Medium_zpsd2215e2b.jpg

Photo0080Medium_zps06213811.jpg

Photo0081Medium_zps1193159f.jpg

Photo0082Medium_zps5e5743b5.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
I'm with you Dave,
I am about one third through making a few of these myself.
Not quite as many as you though. :)
With the 4 on the left being oversize as custom holders.
Cheers and thanks for the great photos.

IMG_0001.jpg

Nice, it must be something in the water down here, or it might be the price why we make our own, LOL

12 plus the 4 original you probably have will give a much wider selection of tools, without holders they are not quick change as you know.

I did sent a few inquires over to China a few years back but they where still expensive over there, not sure how they can sell dovetail ones in the US for $9-10 when these are so expensive

Mine is a QA150, is your the same? If so mine are 60mm center of V to center of V which makes it a nice round number. I measured with rods and all sorts as I couldn't believe my luck for it to fall on a round number.

If you haven't slotted them yet John from over in New Zealand made a holder that had a slot for the tool at an angle, this gave the HSS back rake. Also having a few longer nose ones is great for small HSS bits as it gives you the reach away from the tool post.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I bought two sets od Dickson QCTP way back in the 1980s for the Leblonde Precision Lathes and got hooked on for life.
Using the standard turret tool post was just unproductive. Every new cutter has to be reshimmed.

For my home machineshop,I did think of making my very own Dickson but backed off due to the limitation of my mini vertical mill. Found drawings from Harold Hall to make a simple cam lack QCTP.. Gus will soon catch with Dave in tool holder population if I keep growing cutting tools. The bandsaw was very handy to cut the bar stocks.

Here is my humble QCTP.

Gus Teng

IMG_1130.jpg

I would not say humble, it does the job and you shop made it, really nice work.

You can never have to many in my opinion, I have lived with 6 for 9 years and it's frustrating changing them all the time.

Dave

Hi Dave,
You are right , the dovetails can be scary to cut for the first timer. Will try making the Dickson QCTP some later when my feet warms up. The dovetail QCTP looks easy to cut but as you go further into the job,it can get complicated.DoveTail End Mills seems to have their own mind.I busted two endmills.

Gus Teng

Hey Dave,
Yeah somthing in the water alright, called value for money. lol
I only have 4 that I havn't put a slot in and these are yet to be decided on.
Yes mine are 60 between the V's as well.
Most if not all of these will have tipped tools put into them as soon as they are finished and then a rack to hold them all.
Then I was thinking of making some sort of jig to hold them so I can put the tools in and set them all to the same distance so I can change tools without having to change my DRO's X axis.
Just another job or two to do, the list is getting longer.:wall:

I tried that feature on my DRO 6-7 years ago and then it all went out the window when I moved the tool post. It''s alright if you have a tool for ever operation, but I find I constantly turn my tool post depending on the job.

A rack will be easy as you can use bits of flat bar vertical to hold them.
I find my tools with get rust in the winter so all my lathe and mill tooling lives in cupboards and draws.

I just bought some new metal cupboards for a good price and one of those 1 meter long supercheap tool boxes for $500 when their on special. The draw runners in them are pretty good and hold the weight.
With the metal cupboards they where $199 each (900x450x1800 hight) and I made melamine shelves with a timber edge on the front to save sagging the shelves and to make them look finished.

When you got your tool post set did you get a V one for a boring bar? I am asking because when I bought mine it was advertised with one but never came with one. I contacted them about my mill and mentioned it and they said they no longer made the V one, I replied it was in there currant catalog so he sent me one but didn't want the other back as I had used it.

It's a shame your so far away we could meet up and talk tools. I am thinking of heading up to friends in Brisbane latter in the year, I might give you a yell when I am going and see what your up to at the time.

Last time I was up there I asked around for tooling places and got blank stares and sent to supercheap, LOL
Dave

Hi Dave,
Yes I got one that had a V in the bottom of it but all my boring bars have a flat on the bottom of them so not a great use to me for that.
I just have a regular tool in that one.
By all means drop in for a coffee if you are up this way, might even get Metalmad over as well. Thm:
Cheers,
Darren.

Back