10:1 geared manual drive

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willisZ

Reaction score
I have a camera that I want to be able to pan horizontally in very small increments.
So I'd like to build a gearbox with a manual crank on it that will take 10 turns to rotate a gear on the end of a cable just once.
Anyone know of anything close to this that I could adapt?
i bought a small model car gearbox online, but it was plastic and very noisy.
I looked at a fishing reel, but they step up the number of crank rotations.
I'm thinking there may be some kind of positioning devices for moving objects under a drill press? or some other kind of machining process adjustments - where small movements are required.
thanks!

Yes there is I use a commercialy made rotary table which will turn in degrees but what you are thinking about
and wish to make will involve a serious amount of engineering skills, I am afraid my knowledge of cameras stops
at my little Nikon digital. I am sure the Japanese manufacturers have already solved this issue so look at the camera rags
and see what is on offer.

have a nice one

Bob

Hi,
why don't you get a small slow rotating 12V dc geared motor (you can have choice of rpm), a small power supply of the same voltage as the motor and a pwm (preferably reversible) controller and build the unit from there on. Alternatively if you have money to burn get a Sherline cnc rotary table with its own computerized controller and mount the camera on the table then punch in the numbers to fraction of a degree.

A.G

get a cheap model servo and remove the amp and stop and pot, 5 min job nice compact unit or put an external pot on it and use a servo tester to move it to where you want it. it will move most cameras, there are also a lot of Chinese metal geared servos in the states (hobbyking etc) for about 10 bucks.

also look at http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/

Peter

thanks for the replies. I may try to build my own gearbox -

A car wiper motor or window motor have a nice worm gear combination you can use even without the motor.

Latest posts

Back