1" Governor Making flyballs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I started a thread in finished projects regarding the completion of a 1" governor that I built for a fellow. For anyone contemplating such a build here are the steps I took to create the balls.

1. I didn't want to set up my radiusing attachment for just 3 balls so I ground up a high speed forming tool. I rough ground it on the bench grinder then finished it with some small mounted stones in the Dremel. It was then stoned nice and smooth.

2. The first 2 pictures show the forming process. The balls are .250 diameter.

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

3. Remove from lathe and mount in dividing head.
4. Indicate for concentricity.
5. Find center.

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5339.jpg

Knowing that these part were fragile for the following operations I made up a support pad to help hold them for drilling and slitting. I used a piece of brass and cut a shallow pocket with a .250 ball mill. This was place on a bolt that I cut the top smooth. The bolt was put in a threaded post to act as a jack screw.

The jack screw was placed under the ball and ever so lightly turned up until it just supported the ball.

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

6. A .035 diameter hole was drilled in the center of the ball for a pin to hold the upper link.
7. The ball was then cut with a .016 slitting saw.

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

The rod with the ball on the end was then put back in the lathe to finish cutting the stem and forming the radius up against the ball.
From there it went back in the dividing head. A .035 drill was inserted through the previously drilled hole and indicated flat.
The lower pivot hole was then drilled in the stem.

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

The part was removed from the dividing head and a flat was filed on both sides of the stem to fit it into the lower spider. The flat is .031 thick.
At this time a piece of .015 shim stock was inserted into the outside of the ball and soldered in place. This sealed up the outside and gave the ball some structural strength. The excess was then filed and polished down to the ball diameter.
The part was then cut from the stock and a radius was formed around the lower pin hole.
You can see what the finished balls look like from the next 2 shots.
gbritnell

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

Thanks George

Beautiful shots of the setups and operations.

Thanks

Vince

Beautifully and delicately done, George. Thank you for the good photography, too!

Hi George

Thank you for that detailed demonstration, always a pleasure to follow your work, it is now safely tucked away for reference.

Les

Latest posts

Back