Where do I get brass nails ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezalel2000

Reaction score

dowelmaking006.jpg

If your looking for a brass pin 0.092" or 0.052" for that miniature engine
Or you just need a few rust-proof nails then here it is, inside an Alkaline Battery

After you have sucked all the electricity out of it, turn it negative end up and cut off the plastic wrap.

At this point putting on a pair of safety glasses is a good idea

Remove the negative plate and the insulator card.

dowelmaking005.jpg

Grab the head of the negative electrode with pliers or side cutters and pull it out.

dowelmaking007.jpg

some liquid may leak out of the hole the electrode left behind, which is potassium hydroxide. a very alkaline solution. It is best not get it on your clothes it will totally bleach out any colour where it splashes.
discard the battery and add the nail to your collection.

dowelmaking004.jpg

A Duracell "D" Cell will yield 1.25" x 0.092" Brass nail
A Duracell "C" or "AA" Cell will yield 1.25" x 0.055" Brass nail

Bez

It is, isn't it - certainly one I didn't know!

Try a flooring store, the transistion moldings from one type of flooring to another are nailed with small brass nails.Hardware store should carry them too. Make sure the nails are brass,not steel with a brass cover.
mike

Don't tell anyone I went into one of "those" places, but I found what is called out as 'escutcheon pins' at a artsy/craftsy store. They are apparently used in holding picture frames together as well as other decorative applications. They were relatively cheap and had a nicely rounded head on them that made for a perfect simulated rivet. I have seen them in solid brass and as brass plated steel pieces which just looked cheap.

BC1
Jim

Brass Escutcheon Pins are used a lot on Elmer's Steam Tractor as rivets...

The "hobby lobby" type places sometimes have decent stock of small brass shapes and tools if you foray past the heaps of decor trinkets.

Back