where can I find car engine line drawings for engines of the 1950/60's?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mickey

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know where I can find line drawings (or the type you used to get in the Eagle magazine)for car engines made during the 1950's and 60's? I would like to have a go at making up some plan's (ambitious I know) for a scale engine. The ones I really fancy are the Ford sidevalves and also the early cross flow engines.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated

Hi Mike

Are you thinking of those sort of cut-away drawings you used to get on the front of haynes manuals? I wouldn't know where to start making a set of parts from a drawing like that but I'm sure you have a plan. something like this?

Flathead_Engine_complete_1937-38.jpg

I know that's not the engine that you are after but is that the kind of drawing you want? My personal ambition is to make a 1/3 scale working replica of a 25hp VW type 1 engine but that's probably 20 years in the future.

Sorry for the rambling post.

Twinsquirrel said:
My personal ambition is to make a 1/3 scale working replica of a 25hp VW type 1 engine but that's probably 20 years in the future.

I've also toyed with the idea of using the type 1 engine from a VW since I used to drive them. I have one engine in the garage in a box from a dune buggy I'd built. In one of the Model Engine Builder magazines is a pic of somebody that built a scale engine based on the type 1.

Mike: Perhaps a Clymer(sp?) manual or check on the net for hot rod builders.

Bernd

Lots of places - Enter "car engine cut away drawings" into google images for lots of choice.

a better idea would be to buy an old "scrapper" engine of the type you like that is fairly complete, disassemble and start measuring. Take the guessing out of the process.

Hello Twinsquirrel, The drawing in your post is half of what I was looking for. If that drawing was also shown alongside a plan type line drawing then I hoped to make something from both.

Bernd I am following up your hot rod thought. We don't have such a strong Hot Rod scene here in the UK so it could bear fruit........

Rickharris I have tried similar searches with little results for the engine type I am looking for but I did put your keywords in and all I can find it the top end of engines really. I am not looking to build a F1 or Porsche its more at the basic 1950's Ford/ Vauxhall/BMC really.

Loose Nut, I never thought of that approach and I think its brilliant! If I have the engine in bits I can make the measurements, refer to photo's etc. I will now look out for an old engine of the type I want, scrap yards should be a good source, so many thanks....... :bow:

Back