Whatzit engine (Philip Duclos)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnbikes

Reaction score
Been around real size hit & miss engine most of my life and decided to build a model.

Picked up a laser cut 5"X1" slug drop for my flywheel and am turning it right now. Not sure if it is hardened by the laser or if it is tool steel but it sure is hard. Have 1.5 hours into right now and 3 tool tips and just have 1 side of it trued up.

Laser cutting probably makes the surface of mild steel a bit hard, I know that oxy/acetylene cutting does, the best idea is to try to get below the surface on the first cut.

Paul.

If I took anything bigger cut than a .0015" - .002" the tip would get hot and burn out on me.

You were probably skimming the hardened surface all the time, it may have paid to slow the speed down and take a deeper cut.

Paul.

I have been hoping someone would build that engine. Do you know what kind/grade of steel you have there? If it's a piece of mystery metal like pre-hardened 4140 or something, you will need to carbide it.--or--You may not be able to cut it at all.-Brian

It was in the drop bin at the local steel supplier.

$1 a pound so I am only out $4 if it does not work out.

Barnbikes--I was searching in a scrap bin at my metal supplier for something to make a 4" diameter flywheel from. There was an end from a hot-rolled steel billet, and they sold it to me for a dollar. I still have it. The damn thing is harder than a diamond. My carbides won't even touch it!!!

You were probably skimming the hardened surface all the time, it may have paid to slow the speed down and take a deeper cut.

Paul.

Tried this today and it cut 100% better.

Tomorrow I start tackling the inside of the flywheel.

Have had an email conversation with a guy who has one of these engines and he tells me if you want this engine to run you have to make the flywheel bigger. Since I already have the flywheel trued to the plans specs. I think I will skip the 6 inner holes for now and see if the weight helps.

Back