What's It . . . going to be?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingtractors1

Reaction score
Hi All. After floundering for a while (which I don't do well), I started a new project today. scratch.gif I don't know what it is going to be yet :shrug:- I tend to build that way, but I'm hoping that it becomes an engine of some sort. Creating off the top of my head is a style that gives me freedom to be inventive and imaginative without the need to qualify why the results don't resemble a proposed plan. Posted are pictures of what will be the main bearings and my helper Chico. :big: Next we will build a crankshaft, con rod, eccentric, and whatever comes after that . . . I think?. Ralph
Whatsit39002.jpg
;
Whatsit39003.jpg
;
Whatsit39004.jpg
;
Whatsit39005.jpg
;

at the moment i think it's going to be a bearing holder.

i to have lots of bearing's laying around with no home. what you have come up with is an excellent idea of keeping your bearing out of harms way. :bow:

I just have to ask what kind of dog that is because it looks like you took the fur off my sheltie and put it on my PomChi. LOL
Very cute though, don't take that the wrong way. Also curious to see what you come up with.
Ray

Hi, He is a long hair Chihuahua with a BIG DOG disposition and always under foot inspecting everything I do. We haven't yet decided what to do with the bearings, but since they were just laying around, something may develop. We like engines of all kinds. Ralph

We made a little progress this weekend. We haven't quite decided what it's going to be yet, but we are leaning towards a beam engine of some kind. scratch.gif Ralph
Whatsit311003.jpg
;
Whatsit311001-1.jpg
;
Whatsit311006.jpg
;
Whatsit311005.jpg
;
Whatsit311010.jpg
;
Whatsit311014.jpg
;
Whatsit311016.jpg

Lets call it " The on the fly engine"!! :big:

Will be following along with this one!!
How did you make the silver standards??

Andrew

Thanks. " The on the fly engine" sounds good. Anyway, the process certainly is "seat of the pants". The standards, and everything else, is brass - cut, bent formed to shape, soldered and polished. I think that I will connect the con rod and the push rod to the same crank pin and see how it works. I'll work on them and the beam next. Ralph

Looks good Ralph, I tend to build the same way. It works for me and also for you I see. Keep up the good work and I'll be watching. Dave

Thanks Dave. I can read, interpret and follow "blue prints" / plans, but mostly I like to create from the ground up and develop unique prototypes. I'm sure you know what I mean. The problem is that when I'm done with a project I like to jump into the next one and typically forgo backing up to render written plans for past works, and I never build two alike. This one could be steam / air or solenoid powered - not sure yet. Ralph

A little more prpgress on this project - mostly hand made. Ralph
Whatsit313002.jpg
;
Whatsit313007.jpg
;
Whatsit313009.jpg
;
Whatsit313010.jpg
;
Whatsit313011.jpg
;
Whatsit313014.jpg

And an example of this first version - finger powered :)

Whatsit313B009.jpg

In the next iteration we will try to adapt a different power source - air / steam or maybe electric? Havent' decided just yet. Ralph

I was very impressed by some of the "Finger Engines" posted on this forum a while back, and I've been imagining possible versions. Still working on it. Made a short video today. Next I want to add alternate power source and let it develop as we go. Ralph

A little more progress - built and mounted cylinders, con rods and push rod. And built the box to mount it on. This iteration will be electric (9 volt). We should have a first run soon. Ralph

Whatsit315box001.jpg
;
Whatsit315box002.jpg
;
Whatsit315box005.jpg

I don't know about that, but this engine seems to be working backwards through the mechanisms to turn a wheel. That's just the way it turned out. Now I've got to get the timeing worked out to get it moveing. Ralph

I've posted a video of the working model in the "Finished Projects" section - now that it's finished. :shrug: Ralph

Back