What Blow torch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
At the moment for all my soldering I'm just using a small held held Mapp Gas torch that uses the disposable bottles.
Its fine for the smaller items but in the near future I want to have a go at making some very basic boilers, probably just a 'pot' boiler to start with and see how things go from there.
Now my little Mapp gas blow torch simply won't be big enough to silver solder boilers so I need to get a new blow torch.

I'm trying to keep the cost down a bit so was thinking of getting a blow torch that simply runs off LPG (Propane) bottles.
Has anyone here used these torches to silver solder small boilers (No bigger than 2 inch or so diameter and around 15cm long or shorter) up?

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?
Thanks
Tony

Machine mart do a propane set for twenty quid. Regulator, hose, a handset and three nozzels. Good set and all you need then is a gas bottle.

Julian

That's a great price, shame I live in Australia. :(
But it's obvious I need to do some more shopping around as the place I visited today quoted me $250 (around £110) for a similar item, it was slightly better quality than that but not 5 times the quality!

Thanks for that I would of kicked myself if I had spent $250 and didn't need to, I did think it was rather over priced.

I thought Machine mart were world wide but why not see if they will ship to aus?

Julian.

Hi
Pm me your address if they dont do international and the next time im at machine mart il pick one up and send it on to you.
I live a few miles down the road from machinemart and visit on a semiregular basis.
I have both the large nozzle set and the small set (19mm and 58mm) there no place close to Sievert but the price of Sievert is daft. I use both sets on big boilers 2 inch to the foot with no trouble.

Cheers Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

If I can't find a more reasonable priced set here in OZ I may take you up on the offer.
I've only really just started looking and found out today I can buy all the parts separately at my local hardware store and get one for about $180 so I'm sure if I do some more hunting around I'll find a set for a better price.

For a boiler by a size of 3" X 8" I used two regular not Mapp gas torches. Put the boiler between Brigs and of you go.
Hilmar

Latest posts

Back