Way to get a Stirling to start automatically?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cyssis

Hi!
I was wondering if there's anyway to get a Stirling engine started automatically (eg. without manually spinning a flywheel). Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Evan.

While I would never say never, I've not heard of any way to make a self starting stirling. The flywheel will move a little as the air in the displacer cylinder starts to heat but not enough to turn the engine over. Don't know if a multi-cylinder engine would self start or not.

Chuck

Hmm. Thanks, I'll try and figure something out. I'm trying to make a Stirling generator, and I want to automate it. I'll probably wind up using an old ratchet sprocket (out of a ratchet tie down system) as a flywheel, and move it using a thermocouple activated servo. This project is getting complicated. :p

Another question, although it may need to be addressed in a different topic. Is there anyway, prior to building, to gauge how large of a load I can turn with a certain size of Stirling engine? I would like to get a general idea of how large of an engine I would have to build to generate from 600-1000 watts (a 95VDC x 7.5 Amp DC motor or there abouts). I understand it would be 'big' but aside from that I have no idea how to calculate it. Is there a way to gauge the power of an engine by its displacement or piston movement?

Thank for the help,

Evan.

Latest posts

Back