Upshur Vertical Single

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've just made a start on building the Upshur Vertical Single. I am a bit stuck for a pair of steel gears to drive the camshaft at a reasonable price. A UK supplier has quoted me over £40 each ! I am looking for a 30 teeth and a 60 teeth 48DP gears and wonder if anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

John-Som

John-Som said:
Hi Guys

I've just made a start on building the Upshur Vertical Single. I am a bit stuck for a pair of steel gears to drive the camshaft at a reasonable price. A UK supplier has quoted me over £40 each ! I am looking for a 30 teeth and a 60 teeth 48DP gears and wonder if anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

John-Som

This information may be of some help.

"73) I purchased the gears for this project as recommended in the plans, from PIC Design, a division of RBC Bearings. Both of the gears are stainless steel, .125" wide with a .375" bore, models #J1-30 and J1-60, 30 and 60 tooth.The gears were made to order with a lead time of three weeks. These are extremely well made, and referred to as "instrument quality" by Hamilton. I'm very impressed with the quality, and will eventually get over their price." -MB

This is where I purchased my gears. They are a U.S. supplier, but they may ship to the U.K.

http://www.pic-design.com/cgi-bin/l...brtn=hompge1+ml=LANSA:XHTML+part=DEV+lang=ENG

-MB

In the UK, My Hobbystore may sell some gears for model boats and cars. I know that Tower Hobbies has the gears in that range under DuraTraxx and Robinson and a couple other brands. SDP-SI has thousands of gears. 48P 30 and 60 Tooth, Stainless Steel, Brass, Plastic under 20 bu8cks each.

Always the possibility of making them yourself.
ironman (Ray)

I built the Upshur single in Strictly IC magazine issues 63,64,65,66. Nice engine

Thanks guys for all the info. On thinking this over I realise that if I don't go with the gears recommended in the plans I may run into problems due to differing diameters which would change the distance between centres and length of push rods. In my case saving a few pennies could be costly in other ways !

John-Som

Latest posts

Back