Threading Bits for Newbes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
I expect a lot of static from the perfectionists on this but I am a hobbyist and I get as much enjoyment out of the trip as the destination. I spend more time making tools than making models. I only use carbide tools when the metal is too hard for HSS and these threading bits show what is possible. I probably have 20 bits ground to 60° made for specific purpose and they were all made to solve an immediate problem.

The first bit in the picture is a conventional looking threading tool but it has one drawback. You cannot thread close to the chuck or close to a a shoulder with it. The next two bits solve those problems. By grinding the bit at an angle, you move the compound away from the chuck jaws. By grinding all the material off one side, you can get close to a shoulder

The first two bits on the bottom row are conventional bits for a boring bar. The 1/4" bit for big holes and the 3/16" for a smaller bar. The next bit is for acme thread (about 8 TPI) and the next one is for a small boring bar about 10 TPI.

The last one was just chopped out of a 1/4" lathe bit to thread a replacement collet nut on a Starrett Last Word indicator.

The point I am trying to make is not to fear threading. You are not making parts to NASA specs. Take a piece of HSS steel and your fishtail and try to get close to the 60° gauge. Leave the top of the bit flat but you need relief under the point. Look at the end of your bit and visualize how it is going to sit in the thread when you reach the total depth. Don't forget that the thread is sitting at an angle to your tool and relief must be ground to accommodate that. On an inside thread, on small holes you need a lot of back relief. On left hand threads the relief is on the opposite side.

Unlike carbide, where a mistake costs dollars, you can spend the rest of your life changing the shape of a $2.00 HSS lathe bit. If you mess it up, try again. Eventually, it become routine and when you need a special application, you just grind it and carry on.

Personally, I am long past my best work. With bad eyes and shaky hands I do what I can and still have fun, which is why I started it in the first place.

Threadingtools.jpg

Stan, good write up. i dont know why you'd expect static, what you say is exactly how its done. Stand in front of the grinder with fishtail gauge until you get the 60 degrees (with some clearance on each side) - no experienced guy is going disagree. The wonderfull part is that much to the delight of the newer fraternity member, they'll find they won't be there a night and probably not more that 15 minutes! :D

i'd add to that to get yourself a combo water stone, 200/1000 is about right, for taking the burrs off and and putting on the final edge. other stones like hard arkansas have their place, but nothing imo beats the fast cutting action of a waterstone

It's a lot easier to get that 60 deg angle (and other angles) if you make a small protractor plate that bolts or clamps to the tool rest on the grinder. I made a dead simple one but I can't seem to find a picture of it in my files. If anyone is really interested, I can take a photo and put it up.

Nice tool post Stan

When you machine a part and everything works out perfectly the very first
time it feels pretty good.

When you do that machining with a hand ground tool that you've made,
it feels even better!

I'm another tool grinding junkie. ;)

I haven't attempted to free hand a machined radius bigger than 1/16"
in years. I'd rather grind up a HSS form tool and coax it into cutting
that radius for me.

Rick

When you look at the picture, it is obvious I don't grind for looks. Most of the grinding is done on a 60 grit wheel and a can of water. I rough it out and then go to a 100 grit wheel to grind the final shape of the cutting part. None of the rest has any influence on the thread. The third tool has been chopped at several times to get required clearance and no longer looks like its original shape.

When trying to complete all the operations without taking the work out of the chuck, you frequently have less than ideal conditions. Either the tailstock or the chuck is in the road for ideal tool position but by grinding a tool you can make it work.

Certainly not ideal, but when you can't get close enough to the end of the workpiece (carriage hits the tailstock) mount the tool on the right side of the toolpost so that the carriage pulls it instead of pushing it. It will still make threads that are acceptable for model making.

Latest posts

Back