The Lancaster

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man what a 15 mins that would be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100ft off the deck down the M1 on a monday morning ! TOP GUN :big:

i remember about 8 maybe 9 years back i was on my way back from irvine scotland delivering a conservatory and as i was roughly 9 hours ahead of scedule by aid of running 2 consecutive tacometres i had time and took a scenic detour through the lake district at about 8am i was just tootleing alongside lake windermere and heared the most beautiful sound of raw horsepower verry close to the road and as i looked round to see what and where it was i saw a b52 winged fortress flying about 400 feet above the lake surface but just higher than me on the hillside going almost paralelle to me then it dissapeared over the hill ahead i never told anyone about this untill now because who the hell would believe me but at the time i remember looking at it thinking i wish the only other time i have seen anything like this was at flambards aviation museum in cornwall when i was a kid

john

Here are a few photos of the Canadian Lancaster on its visit to Winnipeg last July. The visit was so successful that it will be back later this month.

http://kjkretired.dyndns.org/lancaster

As usual, click on the thumbnails to enlarge.

Woodguy

Thanks for the pictures of the Lancaster. I am in Kitchener, ON so not too far from Mount Hope where the Lancaster is based. It is my favorite aircraft so can't get enough pictures of it. Welcome to HMEM, I am sure you will find plenty to interest you. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Found another picture of the Lancaster to share with you all.

Don

AIR - Lancaster.jpg

I've been to the EAA fly-in at Oshkosh several times. British planes are quite rare, but there are always several Mustangs present. There ain't nuthin' like the sound of a Merlin!

I can listen to Pratt & Whitney radials and Merlins all day long!

Airplane noise, it's the sound of freedom!

Heads Up Lancaster Lovers

The Lancaster based out of Mount Hope, Ontario is making a tour of western Canada this summer. Here are the dates if any body is interested.

Schedule*

+ July 28 THUNDER BAY, ON
+ July 30-August 2 WINNIPEG, MB
+ August 4-8 CALGARY, AB
+ August 13- 15 ABBOTSFORD, BC
+ August 17-18 EDMONTON, AB
+ August 21-22 WINDSOR, ON

*Subject to change without notice due to weather, serviceability and operational commitments

Here is a link if you require more information.
http://www.warplane.com/Planetalk/LancTour2010.html

Don

dsquire said:
*Subject to change without notice due to weather, serviceability and operational commitments

I thought NZ had it rough when we have to hire a private Hunter to give the navy some target practice (can't find a link) but does this mean the RCAF use the Lanc for operational service between airshows? ;)

doubletop said:
I thought NZ had it rough when we have to hire a private Hunter to give the navy some target practice (can't find a link) but does this mean the RCAF use the Lanc for operational service between airshows? ;)
Same thought crossed my mind when I read that.

I have been told that in the US, all a/c are actually in reserve status for the military. So it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that all our WWII fighters could be called back for some mountaintop close air support.

dsquire said:
Heads Up Lancaster Lovers

The Lancaster based out of Mount Hope, Ontario is making a tour of western Canada this summer. Here are the dates if any body is interested.

Schedule*

+ July 28 THUNDER BAY, ON
+ July 30-August 2 WINNIPEG, MB
+ August 4-8 CALGARY, AB
+ August 13- 15 ABBOTSFORD, BC
+ August 17-18 EDMONTON, AB
+ August 21-22 WINDSOR, ON

Here is a link if you require more information.
http://www.warplane.com/Planetalk/LancTour2010.html

Don

SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am back in Thunder bay that day, and I work at the airport.
Thanks Don

BAH101

Lucky you. Be sure to take your camera along as we are expecting you to post a few pictures of the great bird. No doubt there will be other aircraft there as well as I imagine that there will be an airshow to go along with the Lancaster.

Don

Looks like the RAF are at it as well. Mate of mine, who was in the RAF with me, and by the way now lives in Calgary sent me the pics below from Farnbourgh airshow. With the comment

UK defence cuts are biting so deep that we have had to dust of our Battle of Britain veterans to plug the gap in our air defences

DSC02143.JPG

Latest posts

Back