Robot cow milker

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it today down near Kitchener, Ontario. A lot of big dairy farmers are putting in robotic milking stations!!! Each cow wears an identity tag around its neck. When the cow feels that it needs to be milked, it walks into a one way "chute" and stops at a chest bar. The robot senses the cows identity tag, matches it to a data base, and the robot swings the suction cups into place under the cows udder and attaches them to the cows teats. The cow stands there placidly untill the milker is finished, then the suction cups detach themselves from the cow and go over to an automated wash stand where they are washed and sterilized. The chest bar retracts and "Bossy' walks on through the chute and out the other side. The robot data logs the milk output, and the time, and if that cow ends up in the chute again before its proper time, the chest bar stays retracted and the robot ignores it. I had never heard of this before today. Damn, the Jetsons had it all figured back in 1959!!!---Brian

well cant say I have ever heard of this technology before either. Not totally surprised I guess. I mean who would have thought of cnc mills and lathes in the home shop . Well Tony stark of Iron man fame I guess but that is science fiction right?? Automation is common in most industries. Combines are computerized to maximize efficiency. I heard a news story on NPR about dairy farms the feeding of the cows is computerized and customized. Modern technology what can I say . some ideas will thrive and grow others will disappear.
Has anyone seen an automat lately ??
Tin

Just don't be the guy that mistakenly walks into the milking station thinking it's a public urinal.... :big:

He would be fine assuming he had not stolen a id tag from a cow that was fore cast to produce 15 liters of milk.

Now all they gotta do is develop some robot cows that will cooperate 'cos my real ones sure wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back