Question for GreenTwin re: fuel usage per melt. (Grey iron)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Garner

Reaction score
After reading about your burner set up, it sounds similar to mine.
What is your approximate fuel usage per average melt?

I am asking because I am designing my new fuel tank and trying to decide how big to make it.

My setup:
Delevan 1Gph siphon nozzle
2 1/2” burner tube
12vdc blower motor from a full size Chevy Suburban.

Furnace has an 8” bore 12” deep.
Missou castable plus 3000 degree refractory

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0534.jpeg
    IMG_0534.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
Rob-

The interior dimensions of my furnace are 12.75" bore, and 14" tall.

If I am doing the math right, then my furnace interior surface area is 561 sq.in.

I use about 2.6 gal/hr diesel, and my typical melt time for a #10 crucible of gray iron is about 1 hour (I allow a generous amount of time to make sure I am at pour temperature; I don't have an iron-rated pyrometer).

The 1 gal/hr Delavan nozzle will operate easily up to 4 gal/hr or more (not that you need that sort of fuel flow).

For your furnace, I think the interior surface area is 301 sq.in.

If the heating for various furnace sizes scales approximately linearly, then I would think you could use (301/561) * 2.6 gal/hr = 1.4 gal/hr.

I am not positive the fuel flow rate scales down like that though.

Maybe start with 1.75 gal/hr and see how that works.

To determine the maximum amount of fuel that your sized furnace can completely combust, start with a low fuel flow rate such as 1 gal/hr, and adjust the blower to get about 4" of yellow flames out the lid opening.

Then increase the fuel flow slightly, and the yellow flames should increase in size.
Dial in more combustion air to get the flames back to 4" tall.

Keep increasing fuel flow slightly, and then increasing the combustion air to get back to a 4" flame.

At some point, you will increase combustion air, but you will no longer be able to draw the flames back to 4" tall.
This is the maximum fuel flow that your furnace will completely combust.

Be aware that you may be able to melt iron easily at some level below your maximum fuel burn rate.
I would not use a fuel flow rate above 2.6 gal/hr regardless of anything else.

And if your blower does not produce enough air, then you may not make it through the test described above with an accurate result.

At a glance, I would say you have enough blower, but that is a guess.

Good luck.

Pat J

Thanks for the reply.

Your info along with others from this site will be very useful when it comes time to finally get this thing up and running.

Back